Resource icon

It's not because this person is staff that you should spam his profile with support questions!

Vincent

VincentU submitted a new resource:

It's not because this person is staff that you should spam his profile with support questions! (version 1.0) - Shows a message asking users to not post support questions on a moderator/administrator profile.

Hey guys,

I'm tired of people asking support at my profile all time about helping them with THEIR installation etc.
So I created a little modification to put a message above the 'Write something' box :)

Here's a preview:
please_dont-png.5608

To add that piece of code, find the following code in member_view:
Code:
                <xen:if is="{$canPostOnProfile}">

And than add this behind that piece of code:
Code:

Read more about this resource...

Just thought I would mention this here. I saw this resource and thought it was a good idea. However [in my opinion], I don't think doing this per individual user is the way to go about it. To me (again, just in my opinion) it would be better to have this message based on the members usergroup...that way you don't have to go in and edit the template every time you promote someone to moderator.

For anyone that want's to accomplish this, simply change Vincent's code addition from:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$user.user_id} == 1 OR {$user.user_id} == 2 OR {$user.user_id} == 5">
<p class="importantMessage">Please do not post Support Questions at this person's profile. Profile comments are to congratulate someone or for other stuff. You can ask for support <a href="http://www.yourforums.com/support.php">here</a>.
</p>
</xen:if>
to
Code:
<xen:if is="{$user.user_group_id} == x OR {$user.user_group_id} == y OR {$user.user_group_id} == z">
<p class="importantMessage">Please do not post Support Questions at this person's profile. Profile comments are to congratulate someone or for other stuff. You can ask for support <a href="http://www.yourforums.com/support.php">here</a>.
</p>
where x, y and z are the group IDs

I just updated my previous post, I messed up the code the first time I posted it. It now works with primary group IDs, I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to work while taking secondary groups into account as well.

I turned off profile posts. Maybe I don't get it, but it seems a strange feature to put into XF as a core.......asking for trouble, IMHO.

I turned off profile posts. Maybe I don't get it, but it seems a strange feature to put into XF as a core.......asking for trouble, IMHO.

profile posts are an excellent way for friends to chat with each other, certainly your decision to turn them off, but they certainly can't cause any more trouble than a public forum can anyway :)

profile posts are an excellent way for friends to chat with each other, certainly your decision to turn them off, but they certainly can't cause any more trouble than a public forum can anyway :)

I see, but it's one more place that mods have to look at - so that adds to the work load...in our case.

We have a well behaved lot, but I'd rather they use conversations (PM's) for chatting.

It just seems, from a "need to have" basis, that other things such as better member management could have been a better use of the programmers time. But I do understand that we each have different needs...I just wonder how profile post made it past the whiteboard in "must have now" features!

I just updated my previous post, I messed up the code the first time I posted it. It now works with primary group IDs, I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to work while taking secondary groups into account as well.
Hi,

Did you resolve this? My mod team are in the Moderators usergroup by secondary membership.

I there a way to do something similar for private conversations? Or that is a totally different game? :P

Just thought I would mention this here. I saw this resource and thought it was a good idea. However [in my opinion], I don't think doing this per individual user is the way to go about it. To me (again, just in my opinion) it would be better to have this message based on the members usergroup...that way you don't have to go in and edit the template every time you promote someone to moderator.

For anyone that want's to accomplish this, simply change Vincent's code addition from:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$user.user_id} == 1 OR {$user.user_id} == 2 OR {$user.user_id} == 5">
</p>
to
Code:
<xen:if is="{$user.user_group_id} == x OR {$user.user_group_id} == y OR {$user.user_group_id} == z">
</p>
where x, y and z are the group IDs
That works only with the main group but not with a secondary group. How can I do this with a secondary group?

That works only with the main group but not with a secondary group. How can I do this with a secondary group?

Code:
<xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $user, x, y, z}">
</p>

where x, y, z are your usergroups

let me know if that doesn't work, looks like it works to me from a quick test.

Last edited:
Top Bottom