It's best to use Responsive Design, but if you can't what should you do?

agison

Nice article to read if you couldn't do a Responsive design:

mobile-seo-site-flowchart1.jpg

Detail: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-optimize-a-mobile-site

Thanks for this article. Have you already tested the Google Analytics tools to get stats on mobile? If yes how is it?

My style is Responsive So I need only 1 code.
If you want to see this stat, go to Audience -> Mobile -> Overview/Device, you can see all mobile stats here.

Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 10.33.00 AM.webp

If retina-ready means using svg, this is still a big asset to reduce image size and improve loading time (see what DigitalPoint did).

Too many thing to worry whhen you use svg,
IE7/8, Mobile browsers, Opera Mini, Opera Mobile, Nokia devices, Blackberry, don't support it yet.
Only Android, Blackberry 10 & iOS seem to work fine.

IE7/8 is still very popular on my site visitors

Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 10.46.04 AM.webp

Too many thing to worry whhen you use svg,
IE7/8, Mobile browsers, Opera Mini, Opera Mobile, Nokia devices, Blackberry, don't support it yet.
Only Android, Blackberry 10 & iOS seem to work fine.

IE7/8 is still very popular on my site visitors, it's
It's totally true, but we can imagine a script like XenForo to use fallback.
Ie: browser detection system (there's a javascript that works well to detect if the broswer can deal with svg) => If compatible => svg ; if not => png

Here what did I see on www.digitalpoint.com on IE8.
Search popup also doesn't work. Login doesn't too. No popup, no social buttons, no logo, no banners. Too many issues.

These issues are also exist on my site. But my logo is fine :) (it's png)

Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 10.50.52 AM.webp

The responsive design I am working on right now adjusts to pretty much every decent mobile phone, tablet, monitor or television...other than the extra hours of planning and executing that responsive design /adaptive layouts demand...it is truly awesome and really a lot of fun designing and building with. Couple more days and I am done with it (should have been finished today but I got sidetracked with another style). :-)

I think responsive design is over-hyped just like trying to make sites retina-ready.
I think you've been smoking too much of something. Retina ready, I agree... I honestly don't see a great deal about it because screen display hasn't caught up. A few enthusiasts may hype it, but the web design community isn't overall. Factor it, yes. Implement it as a priority, no.

Mobile web... completely false statement. The mobile web is the single biggest thing in web design today, so much so, the majority of designers are now designing for the mobile device first, then adding extra bits for the desktop versions. A Forum will get left behind if they aren't implementing mobile solutions for their visitors.

Tablets are mobile and view differently compared to their notebook counterpart. They orient landscape and portrait, unlike a notebook. People are constantly looking for things on their mobile phones now, as screens got larger on mobiles, data got cheaper and bandwidth speeds increase.

The web design community actions seem to strongly disagree, also, with your view above, as Wordpress, Joomla and most content manager designers are shifting to mobile styles. All the major style providers now only release responsive designs. It is faster, more efficient, cleaner, and more user friendly for the viewer, to have a single style fit their viewing needs in the mobile web.

Oh joy, responsive design has become the new SEO hype and trend.

Responsive design should be about your visitors, and not about your ranking in a search engine. If you're focusing on search engines when building your responsive website, you're doing it completely wrong.

Oh joy, responsive design has become the new SEO hype and trend.

Responsive design should be about your visitors, and not about your ranking in a search engine. If you're focusing on search engines when building your responsive website, you're doing it completely wrong.
My whole reason for implementing responsive design was simply to make it easier to browse my site from my smart phone.

My whole reason for implementing responsive design was simply to make it easier to browse my site from my smart phone.
Which is its main use.

My only issue with responsive design is that a lot of the things we have on my site aren't easily responsive, and that the navigation for the responsive design here isn't optimal for a resource heavy website.

Top Bottom