Implemented  It would be fantastic if we could edit personal conversation posts :)

Dean

in memoriam
Any chance on being able to edit personal conversations message?

That would be a real time saver, so we did not have to spend so much time proof reading before submitting, similar to making edits 2 seconds after submitting a post.

This would be a *huge* time savor for me (and probably many others).

If it is at all possible, could we be able to edit personal conversation posts? That would be fantastic. :)

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
No, you can't edit/delete what's in *my* inbox. Once you've sent it to me, it's mine and it's out of your hands. :)

I believe that being able to edit the contents of a private conversation is something that everyone in the conversation is going to have to agree too.

I would like the ability to edit, as long as it is made clear that the message was edited. I almost always find myself posting something without proofreading it and then going back immediately and fixing a typo, or adding another detail, etc. :)

10 = Highest :)

EDIT: Why am I even responding to this? :p

XenForo makes you want to respond to things through subliminal messaging. ;)

I don't think it's that important though... there's a lot more things that need to be done first. This is pretty minor I think, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it in the XF beta.

I don't think it's that important though... there's a lot more things that need to be done first. This is pretty minor I think, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it in the XF beta.

Yeah, true.

But I don't think it's the hardest thing to implent in the code right now.
Anyhow, we'll see what the future brings ;)

No, you can't edit/delete what's in *my* inbox. Once you've sent it to me, it's mine and it's out of your hands. :)
My thoughts exactly.

I'm in two minds about this... a delete button to delete posts from the conversation is suitable (otherwise we've got a bunch of conversations and no way to delete them and what if we've got spammers?) and an edit button I would only agree to if the old message was clearly seen in the message, something like:
Welcome to XenForum!

Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down

Welcome to XenForum!

This is the new message that's clearly identifiable from the old one.

Personally, I wouldn't want people to be able to edit their personal messages after I've read them. It's like being able to delete your email from someones email account :P

Maybe there could be a handshake method where all participants have to mark the post(s) as deleted before it's deleted? Or perhaps (considering it's a conversation) when you delete a message it deletes it from your conversation only and not the whole conversation (similar to the 'Hide' button on the news feed).

Personally, I wouldn't want people to be able to edit their personal messages after I've read them. It's like being able to delete your email from someones email account :p

That's not what's meant.

I'd do like in PHPBB3, that you can edit the message until it is read.

I agree. This should be very low on the to-do list. :)
That's not what's meant.

I'd do like in PHPBB3, that you can edit the message until it is read.
Yeah, this is the best solution. Allow editing freely until they read the message. After that, no more editing. :)

There are clearly 2 schools of thought on this
  1. viewing it as a thread only 2 people can see, and posts in that thread could be edited under whatever limits the admin setup
  2. you sent it to me, I own it forever and ever, and only I will decide what becomes of it.
Everything else aside, #2 takes a who lot longer for me to deal with because messages need to be 'perfect', as opposed to being able to make an edit 2 seconds later.

I am getting the distinct impression #1 will be the way xf will be shipped to avoid some issues/controversy. At least I would ship it that way just to avoid some headaches. Then presumably people will be able to change/mod the editing on their own sites.

At this point I would like to keep the base code as simple as possible.

Top Bottom