Implemented  It would be fantastic if we could edit personal conversation posts :)

Dean

in memoriam
Any chance on being able to edit personal conversations message?

That would be a real time saver, so we did not have to spend so much time proof reading before submitting, similar to making edits 2 seconds after submitting a post.

This would be a *huge* time savor for me (and probably many others).

If it is at all possible, could we be able to edit personal conversation posts? That would be fantastic. :)

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
No, you can't edit/delete what's in *my* inbox. Once you've sent it to me, it's mine and it's out of your hands. :)

Some e-mail solutions (e.g. Gmail, AOL, etc) allow you to "unsend" an e-mail message within a certain amount of time, before it is read. I think something similar (at least edit functionality) should be implemented here as well.

Some e-mail solutions (e.g. Gmail, AOL, etc) allow you to "unsend" an e-mail message within a certain amount of time, before it is read. I think something similar (at least edit functionality) should be implemented here as well.

Gmail accomplishes this by acutally not sending the email until the "unsend" period has passed.

Gmail accomplishes this by acutally not sending the email until the "unsend" period has passed.

Yep. I'm not sure if something like that could be implemented here, but I think we at least need the ability to edit a PC before it is read.

Yep. I'm not sure if something like that could be implemented here, but I think we at least need the ability to edit a PC before it is read.

Since it's a closed system (XenForo is in control of both the sender's and recipient's inboxes), it would be possible to allow editing/deleting a sent PC as long as the recipient has not logged in/has not been active since it was sent. Requiring the recipient to have not logged in or not have been active is the only way to ensure that the recipient has not seen a notification for the PC. If there are email notifications for new PCs, then deleting it later would be problematic.

While some sort of deleting/editing before the recipient has "received" the PC would be possible, it's probably best not to go there. The whole system should be treated like email, where once you have sent it, it's completely out of your hands.

There are clearly 2 schools of thought on this
  1. viewing it as a thread only 2 people can see, and posts in that thread could be edited under whatever limits the admin setup
  2. you sent it to me, I own it forever and ever, and only I will decide what becomes of it.
Everything else aside, #2 takes a who lot longer for me to deal with because messages need to be 'perfect', as opposed to being able to make an edit 2 seconds later.

I am getting the distinct impression #1 will be the way xf will be shipped to avoid some issues/controversy. At least I would ship it that way just to avoid some headaches. Then presumably people will be able to change/mod the editing on their own sites.

At this point I would like to keep the base code as simple as possible.

You can still have #2 and be able to edit. Allow the sending user to edit until the receiving user views the message. After that point, no more editing so it's consistent. In 99% of cases, the receiving user isn't going to receive it instantly, so it still gives you that minute (or two or five) to edit. :)

While some sort of deleting/editing before the recipient has "received" the PC would be possible, it's probably best not to go there. The whole system should be treated like email, where once you have sent it, it's completely out of your hands.

Why not? It's a closed system, so why not do the work to make it better than email? :)

You can still have #2 and be able to edit. Allow the sending user to edit until the receiving user views the message. After that point, no more editing so it's consistent. In 99% of cases, the receiving user isn't going to receive it instantly, so it still gives you that minute (or two or five) to edit. :)

Understood. And it would be fantastic if the editing controls were there by default to let the admins decide for their own site.

But based on what Kier said in passing (forgot the exact wording and context), my impression is they don't want to do this, so I am officially waving the white flag, and not asking for this anymore.

But as with Gmail and AOL, and with whatever other e-mail platforms as well, e-mail isn't completely out of your hands right after sending it. Gmail gives you a grace period in which you can cancel the sending of the e-mail, and AOL allows you to "unsend" e-mails that haven't been read yet. I'm not seeing why something similar would be a bad idea for PCs.

What about when the PM email notice goes out? If it contains part or all of the PM, editing's somewhat useless as they've already seen it in the email. If it's just a basic email saying "LOG IN DAMNIT, YOUSE GOTS DA PMS", then editing may be ok. However if it's a basic notice and they log in, but there's no message, then that kinda sucks.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the little joke in my post :)

1. Allow editing of message until read by any other participant.
2. After message has been read, allow editing if all participants agree (many details to work out)
3. Allow deletion of message if all partcipants agree (many details to work out)

This allows the system to function as the standard private message system, but also allows the system to work as a productivity collaborative messaging system. In the latter scenario it would be expected for participants to add/edit/delete messages without concern of the other members.

What about when the PM email notice goes out? If it contains part or all of the PM, editing's somewhat useless as they've already seen it in the email. If it's just a basic email saying "LOG IN DAMNIT, YOUSE GOTS DA PMS", then editing may be ok. However if it's a basic notice and they log in, but there's no message, then that kinda sucks.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the little joke in my post :)

Good point. Simple solution: Delay the sending/notification of a new PC for x minutes, in which time period the sender can edit or cancel/delete the message. This seems to be the simplest option, at least IMO.

Or just include a preview button (may have already), that's the simplest. Because it's a "conversation", any additional information could just be sent as a new post.

Good point. Simple solution: Delay the sending/notification of a new PC for x minutes, in which time period the sender can edit or cancel/delete the message. This seems to be the simplest option, at least IMO.

But the whole point of the conversations system if to have a chatbox like feel without the actual chatbox or instant message type thing. Delaying it would delay the conversation making it impossible to engage in a full one without waiting X amount of mins.

But the whole point of the conversations system if to have a chatbox like feel without the actual chatbox or instant message type thing. Delaying it would delay the conversation making it impossible to engage in a full one without waiting X amount of mins.

I liken the Personal Conversations to Private Messages. I never knew the whole point was to have a chatbox-like feel. Is this mentioned by Mike or Kier somewhere?

I don't think delaying it is a good idea. What if you're both logged online and want to talk quickly, you would have to wait a few minutes both ways. That could get very annoying. :)
I liken the Personal Conversations to Private Messages. I never knew the whole point was to have a chatbox-like feel. Is this mentioned by Mike or Kier somewhere?
No, I think Brandon just assumed that. While it's not meant to be a chatbox/IM-type thing, timely responses are still necessary. Dealying messages would be a bad decision. :)

I've just added the ability to edit posts in private conversations - though it is time limited (controlled by permissions).

Here, it is set to ten minutes.
Nice, is this option avaliable all round?

Hey kier, would it be possible to keep the edit/delete button consistent and put it next to the date time instead of next to the reply button. That way it would be consistent with the treads.

Top Bottom