It seems crazy to me that Xenforo lacks this functionality...

RyanC

As it stands, a user upgrade can not be renewed until it is expired... So, if I have a customer that is a current upgrade and his about to expire, he literally has to wait until expiration before he can renew.

There is, of course, and add-on that solves this issue... But it doesn't work with 1.4.5.

Shouldn't this be a base feature?

I guess I'm not familiar with subscriptions? Where do I learn more?

I have a few thousand paid users and really need to get this licked since the add-on stopped working.

I guess I'm not familiar with subscriptions? Where do I learn more?

I have a few thousand paid users and really need to get this licked since the add-on stopped working.

May I ask what addon are you talking about?

Shady?

It's not behind their back.
They have to set up a recurring payment profile so know exactly what is going to happen.

Shady?

They have to set up a recurring payment profile so know exactly what is going to happen.

Not shady in general, just in my case...

See, I have users that have been paid subscribers for over a decade. Each year, they get a notification that their membership is about to expire, and they then have a choice of whether or not they want to renew.

If I change that to recurring payments, they aren't given that choice as expressively. Meaning, their paypal account is charged in the background and they may go on never knowing that they renewed until they notice a balance difference in their paypal acct.

Long short, I prefer not to use recurring payments... and would like to see a renew option like every other subscription service (even VB man!) offers.

I guess I didn't think about this but I agree, our site uses membership payment i.e. subscriptions and I guess I expected that if someone wanted to extend their membership/subscription they could just do so at any time and it would add one year on to the expiration date. Making them wait until after it expires to be able to re-subscribe does seem odd.

And I also do not like the way the subscription function works. I think it would be better to make it an option that the subscriber can choose - i.e. let them check the box and decide if they want the subscription to automatically renew or not.

I guess I didn't think about this but I agree, our site uses membership payment i.e. subscriptions and I guess I expected that if someone wanted to extend their membership/subscription they could just do so at any time and it would add one year on to the expiration date. Making them wait until after it expires to be able to re-subscribe does seem odd.

And I also do not like the way the subscription function works. I think it would be better to make it an option that the subscriber can choose - i.e. let them check the box and decide if they want the subscription to automatically renew or not.

I agree... that would be ideal...

Shady?

Paypal use the same tactic and how many stories are there about payments deducted after the fact. Not saying it's ever going to be a problem with xenforo but it's tarnished the word "subscription payments" and associated it with behind your back transactions if you ask me or google. :2cents:

Last edited:
Is there a notice option based on subscription expiry/renewal date? I'm thinking a dismissable notice that appears 14 days prior to subscription renewal date advising to modify their PayPal if need be?

Top Bottom