1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't Fix Issue with right-to-left language display in Recent Activity

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Saeed, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

Just noticed this in the Recent Activity.

The 4 should be with "minutes ago".

This may be covered when you guys support RTL languages, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.
    ibnesayeed likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Unfortunately, this is always a challenge. It gets into the "affinity" a character has for LTR or RTL text. For example, Latin characters are LTR; Arabic characters are RTL. However, numbers will attach in either way based on surroundings and markup. It's seriously complex. We could potentially add lrm/rlm markers, but I'm not sure how we'd get away with that as we have no way to know/guarantee what direction is coming. So I'm going to call this a won't fix - in a full RTL translation with RTL titles, it should be ok.
    Saeed and ibnesayeed like this.
  3. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

Well, thanks for looking into it, Mike. :)
  4. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

Mixed phrases with LTR and RTL text really get annoyed when there are numbers or special symbols on borders. It become almost unreadable when this happen in multi-line text.

Using unicode-bidi CSS property might help. :)

Saeed likes this.
  5. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

I know! I tried posting in the bug report how the text should actually read and couldn't get it the right way, no matter how you try.

Can't say I understand the bit about the bidi CSS property, but it would be really great if this could be sorted. :)
  6. ibnesayeed

Wow, I tried to set the unicode-bidi property on the quoted text in Firebug, but the results were crazy. :)
  7. ibnesayeed

In Google+, they did really clever job. Since, they have a huge language model, hence, they recognize the language of the posted phrase and if it falls under RTL languages then they apply CSS properties accordingly. :)
  8. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

Oh, I see. I wonder if something like that could be done here too.:rolleyes:
  9. ibnesayeed

Only if you can build your own AI Language Classifier using your own infrastructure or with the help of Google Prediction API. Also, you can use Language Detect feature of Google Translate. Mind that Google Translate API will be shut down by the end of this year. But, you still have first two options. :)
    Saeed likes this.
  10. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

What if we change the phrase a bit, e.g.

Seen 4 minutes ago, viewing thread صنف نازک

Viewing thread صنف نازک
    4 minutes ago