1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with extending a DataWriter

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by NixFifty, Feb 3, 2014.

1. NixFifty

NixFifty Well-Known Member

I seem to be having a bit of trouble extending the User DataWriter. Whenever the particular code is executed, I get this in the server error log:

XenForo_Exception: The field 'tokens' was not recognised. - library/XenForo/DataWriter.php:1333

Stack Trace:
    #0 /home/se7ensin/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1375): XenForo_DataWriter->_haveErrorsPreventSave()
    #1 /home/se7ensin/public_html/forums/library/NixFifty/UpgradesPlus/Model/Upgrades.php(465): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
    #2 /home/se7ensin/public_html/forums/library/NixFifty/UpgradesPlus/Model/PayPal.php(255): NixFifty_UpgradesPlus_Model_Upgrades->upgradeUser('649260', '478168', Array)
    #3 /home/se7ensin/public_html/forums/gift_callback.php(31): NixFifty_UpgradesPlus_Model_PayPal->processTransaction()
    #4 {main}
    Code that's on or near line 465 in Upgrades.php:
    $dw = XenForo_DataWriter::create('XenForo_DataWriter_User');
    $dw->set('tokens', $payUser['tokens'] + 1);
    Finally, here's what I'm extending to the DataWriter:
    protected function _getFields()
            $result = parent::_getFields();
            $result['xf_user']['tokens'] = array('type' => self::TYPE_FLOAT, 'default' => 0);
            return $result;
    Could someone point out the problem please? Thank you :)
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

The error suggests that this bit isn't working:

I recommending double checking to ensure your code event listener is set up correctly, uses the correct event hint. Feel free to post a screenshot of that and your Listener PHP file.
  3. NixFifty

My Listener:
    class NixFifty_UpgradesPlus_Listener_DataWriter
        public static function loadClassUser($class, &$extend)
            if ($class == 'XenForo_DataWriter_User')
                $extend[] = 'NixFifty_UpgradesPlus_DataWriter_User';
    And the Code Event Listener:
  4. JulianD

JulianD Well-Known Member

The way I see it, you need to instruct the datawriter that 'tokens' is a valid field. Otherwise, it will fail. The datawriter fetches all valid fields from the _getFields() method.
  5. Syndol

Syndol Guest

Have you added the column 'tokens' to the user table?
  6. Chris D

He's done that.

It's a DataWriter error, not a MySQL error. It appears as though the DataWriter isn't getting that far.

That being said, both valid questions because from what I can tell so far all of the code looks sound...
  7. NixFifty

I've used pretty much the same code elsewhere and it works fine so I'm not understanding why this breaks.

Yes. I use another bit of code to add to the same column and that works without a problem.

Any other possible causes as to why it doesn't reach that far?

Thanks for the help so far.
  8. Chris D

My only thought is if you have some other add-on installed that might be doing a bad job of extending that function.

If you use this code on any page that renders a view...

$dw XenForo_DataWriter::create('XenForo_DataWriter_User');
    ...and go to that page, does your tokens field appear in the output?

Do you get the same error even if you disable all other add-ons?
  9. NixFifty

The token field does appear in the output.

Just going to go disable all add-ons on the staging site we have and see if that causes the same issue.
  10. NixFifty

No joy :(
  11. NixFifty

Bit of an update. Couldn't get the DataWriter working so I just went and did it with a SQL query instead. Worked like a charm of course.