Is XFES too literal or do resources work differently to forum threads / posts?

CTXMedia

I tried searching resources for tenants directory a few moments ago. I remembered it had XenKing in the name so put that in the search field; the result was a single thread:

Usergroup Permissions for Xenking Directory Addon 1.0.1

... but, strangely, not the actual add-on thread I was looking for. So I tried again, but this time used directory as the search word and there is was, a few places down the list:

[SurreyForum] XenKingDir: Link / Business Directory (Directory) 1.2.0.8

... so why didn't XFES pick this out when I searched for XenKing? I realise it has 'Dir' tacked onto it, but shouldn't the search algo at least pick it up as a partial match?

... so why didn't XFES pick this out when I searched for XenKing? I realise it has 'Dir' tacked onto it, but shouldn't the search algo at least pick it up as a partial match?
No, in general a partial match would match all sorts of stuff that it shouldn't. If you want a partial match (beyond stemming), you need to add a "*".

FWIW, I don't even see the thread you wanted on Google for "xenking".

Okay, thanks Mike; I'll have to remember to use the wildcard more often. (y)

I've possibly become a little too dependent on stemming (I have it enabled on all my own sites) and forget that it only applies to dictionary words. ;)

Top Bottom