Is XenForo best used/created for Developers or people with coding skills?

Jamie

Since this is a new product, trimmed down and with less 'flare' (not a bad thing btw) but with that in mind I am wondering if it's going to be a product that Developers will get more out of than the average admin like myself.

I have seen the developing community explode with mods and that is great, but for example.. each post I see 8WayPost write, it's a bit over my head.

What I have learned has been from taking vB apart building my site, and now it's the taking IPB apart while continuing to build my site. In doing this, I have learned more from the IPB coding than I did from the vB code. Different style I guess?

So my question, and please answer honestly... will xF be a community that an admin without many skills will be able to use and grow? Or will it be better suited to begin with for the developers and people that know how to code?

Jamie

You could setup a sandbox to mingle with.
This whole MVC thing requires a different way of thinking. Perhaps it's time for you to jump in!
People here would help. and that's priceless ;)

XF seems pretty straightforward so far. Developers will always be able to get the most out of a forum software like this, but I don't see that as a requirement to effectively use this.

I'm sure as time passes you'll see more and more self-explanatory mods if that's what you're getting at. The software is out for not even 3 days and the amount of things I've seen so far as astounding I feel :).

I know that must not rest all your worries of course but time will tell :)

If you are the kind of Admin who is not very technically oriented but still would like to know what is going on in the background, it will take some time to learn the framework and MVC patterns. I think in time, there will be a ton of educational resources (articles, how-to's , etc,etc...) that will make things much easier to understand.

Right now, I feel like the modding community is in a sort of limbo: developers who can read and understand the code are still exploring the implications of this new software and will take time until their knowledge is translated for a more novice audience with articles, tutorials, and the like.

If you are the kind of Admin who is not very technically oriented but still would like to know what is going on in the background, it will take some time to learn the framework and MVC patterns. I think in time, there will be a ton of educational resources (articles, how-to's , etc,etc...) that will make things much easier to understand.

Right now, I feel like the modding community is in a sort of limbo: developers who can read and understand the code are still exploring the implications of this new software and will take time until their knowledge is translated for a more novice audience with articles, tutorials, and the like.

I honestly didn't even know that there is such thing as PHP MVC :D
If you want to get a jump start I suggest www.msdn.com (Microsoft's developer network)

Jamie, I'm low on coding skills and I'm not having a hard time with it at all. The fact that developers love it is a bonus for people like us.

For example: Time to add a "top" button to the message controls: about 3 minutes, including the time it took me to ask if some kind person would write the code for me.

Top Bottom