• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is XenForo An Ideal Solution For Non-Programmers?

I need forum software that is non-programmer-friendly, meaning easy to install on a server, easy to customize, and easy to use add-ons with. Could someone like me get by with XenForo and grow a community with limited-to-know coding knowledge?

I've looked into using something like vBulletin 5 with their cloud hosting solution but the inability to even use custom themes is a deal breaker. I need something simple, reliable, and easy to learn if I really, really must get under the hood and make manual changes. Is XenForo right for me?

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I need forum software that is non-programmer-friendly, meaning easy to install on a server, easy to customize, and easy to use add-ons with. Could someone like me get by with XenForo and grow a community with limited-to-know coding knowledge?

I've looked into using something like vBulletin 5 with their cloud hosting solution but the inability to even use custom themes is a deal breaker. I need something simple, reliable, and easy to learn if I really, really must get under the hood and make manual changes. Is XenForo right for me?
In a word, yes.

XenForo is very easy to get along with :) And even a little bit of basic knowledge will let you do some pretty cool things.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I've not used servers or the like before and I'm curious about what that would entail. Is there a list of recommended server hosting solutions that XenForo gets along with somewhere out there? As I understand it, you download the forum software, install it onto the server, and it should just work, yes?

Thank you for tolerating my ignorance.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
We only supply the software so you would also need to purchase a domain (URL) and hosting (server).

If the hosting comes with cPanel, you can literally have XF installed in a couple of minutes from start to finish.

Most hosts should suffice but there is a check list on the purchase page here: https://xenforo.com/purchase/