Is v229 on the way?

FTL

For the devs: it's been around three months since the last update, so just wondering if v229 is due to drop anytime soon.

Just to be clear there will likely be 2.2 versions after 2.2.9. We don’t just roll over to 2.3 unfortunately.

Do any devs care to give us an idea then? I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know.

For what, 2.2.9 or 2.3? If the former, no, I'm not sure how many people really do care. If the latter, if you get an answer that says anything besides "sometimes between now and the end of the year," I will be astounded.

For what, 2.2.9 or 2.3? If the former, no, I'm not sure how many people really do care. If the latter, if you get an answer that says anything besides "sometimes between now and the end of the year," I will be astounded.
That really wasn't helpful.

Neither is being anxious about point releases. They fix bugs, or bring minor improvements but they are only meant for maintenance of a version, and nothing more.

I do not get update panic... Even if 2.3 dropped tomorrow, you would still be waiting weeks to months for all the add-ons you use to update properly, so what does it matter when a point release comes out?

Neither is being anxious about point releases. They fix bugs, or bring minor improvements but they are only meant for maintenance of a version, and nothing more.

I do not get update panic... Even if 2.3 dropped tomorrow, you would still be waiting weeks to months for all the add-ons you use to update properly, so what does it matter when a point release comes out?
What's this this with everyone's apologist anti posts? Just because you don't care doesn't make it right to put off others.

Now after you and that other guy the devs will definitely not answer. Thanks for nothing mate.

No, I was being serious, actually. You started this thread asking when 2.2.9 might be released, but then everyone started talking about 2.3, so it wasn't clear to me by your last question whether you were still referring to 2.2.9 or 2.3. And I stand by the rest of what I had to say, because how many people are likely to care much about 2.2.9 except for a handful waiting for some particular bug fix? And as for 2.3, that question has been asked over and over and the answer is always the same, so why would you expect it to be different this time? :whistle:

As with any update, it will be released when it’s ready, they don’t put timestamps on future releases.

No, I was being serious, actually. You started this thread asking when 2.2.9 might be released, but then everyone started talking about 2.3, so it wasn't clear to me by your last question whether you were still referring to 2.2.9 or 2.3. And I stand by the rest of what I had to say, because how many people are likely to care much about 2.2.9 except for a handful waiting for some particular bug fix? And as for 2.3, that question has been asked over and over and the answer is always the same, so why would you expect it to be different this time? :whistle:
I was talking about the next release, 229. That other people decided to talk about 2.3 is nothing to do with me so I dunno why you're associating that with me.

I can't believe you and the other guy are putting such a downer on a simple, innocuous question. I'd have thought others would be curious to know too, no? So, you don't wanna know and nor does the othe guy. What's that to me? Who are you to put the devs off just because you don't wanna know. Others will want to know too, so don't give the devs an excuse not to answer.

The devs have come onto the forum at times and advised that an update will drop in a couple of weeks or so, so it's not such a strange question given the length of time since the last update. We had the tiny p1 on 17th December, but the big one was 2nd December which is over three months ago now, so it's perfectly reasonable to ask for an idea of the timeline.

I see that Chris D has already come on here and not answered the question. Great.

I was talking about the next release, 229. That other people decided to talk about 2.3 is nothing to do with me so I dunno why you're associating that with me.
I wasn't, necessarily. That's why I asked for clarification as to which version you were talking about, because it wasn't clear to me that you were ignoring all the other posts and still just talking about 2.2.9. And Chris had already answered by not answering, so I think some of us were wondering why you would still be asking. Good luck, though! Personally, along with a whole lot of other people, I would really like to know when 2.3 will be released, but I know by this point that they're only going to tell us what they want to tell us when they're ready to. I've never known them to give a release time for any update in answer to someone on the forums asking, except for maybe a security vulnerability or a particularly nasty bug...? But maybe it's happened and I just don't remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: FTL
I wasn't, necessarily. That's why I asked for clarification as to which version you were talking about, because it wasn't clear to me that you were ignoring all the other posts and still just talking about 2.2.9. And Chris had already answered by not answering, so I think some of us were wondering why you would still be asking. Good luck, though! Personally, along with a whole of other people, I would really like to know when 2.3 will be released, but I know by this point that they're only going to tell us what they want to tell us when they're ready to. I've never known them to give a release time for any update in answer to someone on the forums asking, except for maybe a security vulnerability or a particularly nasty bug...? But maybe it's happened and I just don't remember.
ok, well I've clarified now.

And yeah, would be nice to know about 2.3, but I know that it's very unlikely that even the devs know that one and would certainly not want to answer that question.

I'd love to be able to look into the future and find out what 3.0.0 looks like and when it comes out! 🙂 I guesstimate a good 7-10 years from now and a lot of things could happen in that time to forums, the internet / web and the world in general.

I can't believe you and the other guy are putting such a downer on a simple, innocuous question. I'd have thought others would be curious to know too, no? So, you don't wanna know and nor does the othe guy. What's that to me? Who are you to put the devs off just because you don't wanna know. Others will want to know too, so don't give the devs an excuse not to answer.

The devs have come onto the forum at times and advised that an update will drop in a couple of weeks or so, so it's not such a strange question given the length of time since the last update. We had the tiny p1 on 17th December, but the big one was 2nd December which is over three months ago now, so it's perfectly reasonable to ask for an idea of the timeline.

I see that Chris D has already come on here and not answered the question. Great.
If they didn't answer, that is because they didn't want to answer or cannot answer at this point. No member of this community has any leverage, pull or control over developers; to imply such or think such is beyond silly.

Singularly, the question is not harmful... But when you are asked the same questions repeatedly over and over, it is just a simple waste of time. And again, the answer to your question changes nothing for you other than to settle curiousity. None of your plans are dependent on v229, at most they are dependent on 2.3, and even then you would be reliant on resource providers to complete updates for 2.3 compatibility before you could upgrade anyways.

Time between updates when they had to work on finishing and releasing XF Cloud, have had to deal with any growing pains from XF Cloud, and now they are clearly working on fixing a major number of bugs and improvements... Why worry about updates when you are seeing progress?

And also to call me an apologist when I have been fairly critical of XF and the handling of resources and the like... 🤣.

2.2.9 is clearly in progress. We keep seeing fixed bugs referencing it. That is good enough for me. If there was absolute, resolute silence without even any Bug Bot posts, then I might be worried.

@FTL I think this is your first year with XenForo (according to your license thread you made last week). XF has really never given advance notice of any specific release dates. We're all excited for new releases, but it doesn't do any good stressing over them.

Back
Top Bottom