Is there anything new in 2.1.9?

frm

Usually, when a new version is released, there is a changelog of threads included with it. I don't see anything different than the PayPal issue in the newest release.

Just wondering if anything was added that'd persuade me to renew my license, other than the patch that was kindly provided for free.

It was just the patch.
Why not version it 2.1.8 PL3 then? It makes @XF Bug Bot posts off then:

renewing licence also helps pay for development - consider reneweing anyway please.
Don't get me wrong, I've considered it. However, I need my site to operate with all the add ons I have. So until I have confirmation that they all work with 2.1.8 PL2 (which this release, in my opinion, should've been 2.1.8 PL3 as XF Bug Bot said 2.1.9 will include a lot of fixes), it doesn't make fiscal sense for me to update XF to run an older version and then update add ons to match the newest. It would make more sense to upgrade and renew all together.

There are no other fixes included in this version. There will be a further 2.1 maintenance release in the coming weeks.

Patch releases like we saw with 2.1.8 are specifically for addressing new issues that were caused in that release. Some of the fixes we included in 2.1.8 had wider implications and required further refinement hence we introduced Patch 1 and Patch 2 to address them.

The significant thing to point out is that 2.1.9 is an out-of-band security release, therefore a new version was appropriate. It's essentially a critical update so it deserves a new version number and was clearly unplanned which is why the work we already did for 2.1.9 has now been postponed until 2.1.10.

We also released a new 2.0 version as we typically have a policy of patching the current version (2.1) and the previous version (2.0) when a critical/security issue is identified. Again, an entirely new version number is appropriate..

Of course. The work we've already done doesn't just disappear 🙂

Also, to be clear, this out-of-band release hasn't delayed the next release in any way. The only thing that is different is that it will have a higher version number than it would have done. The release date of the next release is the same as it would have been had we not had to release 2.1.9 yesterday.

The release date of the next release is the same as it would have been had we not had to release 2.1.9 yesterday.
...which is when? 👀👀

Just kidding 😁

Thank you for providing the patch for 'unlicensed' users though... very generous. Will upgrade when all add ons are confirmed to be compatible. :)

Well, as the release announcement thread states: "in the coming weeks". Bug fix releases nearly always come every 6-8 weeks.

The comments about add-on compatibility are sort of confusing. Bug fix releases rarely, if ever, break any compatibility with add-ons. The worst that would happen is a template modification no longer working due to a template change, but we also keep those to a minimum.

Bug fix releases are generally totally safe to install without having to worry about compatibility issues. It's major releases like 2.2.0 that may (or may not) be more likely to break some level of compatibility with add-ons.

Top Bottom