Is there a way to turn off albums and images and only allow video embeds?

cdub

I have a unique situation where I will not have anyone uploading any images nor do I want albums.

I just want a place for people upload (or embed) their videos.

Can I turn off the image upload and the albums and only have the embed video?

That way when a user goes to "add media" the only option is to embed?

I've been playing around with it on the demo and I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

This is all controllable via permissions and category options.

There is a permission for View Albums (set this to No therefore albums can't be viewed therefore albums can't be created).

There is also a permission at the category level that controls whether you can upload images to that category, embed videos or both.

And I'm trying to change the phrase from Media to "Films" - I changed the "Media" phrase to "Films" and it still says "Media" everywhere... hmmm

Still haven't figured out how to turn off albums completely so they don't show up as an option all over the site. I want to remove all references to "albums" everywhere.

The only way I see myself keeping "Albums" is converting albums to "Contests" where people upload films for some sort of video competition.

As you're not using albums you may also want to remove the "Override media privacy" permission. In a default set up, this will be set due to the Moderator permissions under Admin CP > Users > Moderators > Your User Name > Uncheck: Override media privacy.

Bear in mind, though, as you have it set up at the moment if you log in as a normal user they won't see mention of albums anywhere at all.

Ok - it's a really great addon and I'll probably get it. It'll just take a lot of busy work to adapt it for my needs.

If there was a contest add on for it, it'd be perfect.

Is there a way to generate threads for new media like threads are created for resources with resource manager?

Is there a way to allow people to upload videos to Albums that have already been created but not create their own albums?

I've played around with the permissions but so far no luck.

The only way I've been able to add something to the album also gives you the option to create a new option which I don't want.

Last edited:
It's not possible to create pre-defined albums. Users must create their own albums. There is a suggestion to have a limit on the number of albums a user can create, if that were ever implemented it could be a solution (as you could restrict it to 1 per user). Not sure when/if that will happen, though.

I've been a able to create an album... but when I log onto as another user it won't let me add anything to the other album... just create my own or add to one of my other albums that that user made... no option to add media to the album created by the other user.

I'm pretty sure the permissions are set up fine for the individual album.

Restricting to one album per user wouldn't work unfortunately.

You can control globally how much (in terms of disk space) a user can upload to the Gallery using options or the permissions system.

It is possible for people to add media to other's albums, but you must adjust the permissions of that album. When viewing the album, in the sidebar it should list who can currently view and who can add to the album. Below that is a link to "Change Permissions".

As you're not using albums you may also want to remove the "Override media privacy" permission. In a default set up, this will be set due to the Moderator permissions under Admin CP > Users > Moderators > Your User Name > Uncheck: Override media privacy.

Bear in mind, though, as you have it set up at the moment if you log in as a normal user they won't see mention of albums anywhere at all.

Oh cool. Yeah logging into as a normal user with album permissions turned off I don't see them.

It is possible for people to add media to other's albums, but you must adjust the permissions of that album. When viewing the album, in the sidebar it should list who can currently view and who can add to the album. Below that is a link to "Change Permissions".

I have it set that any registered member can add to the album but when I go to add media with a different user that album doesn't show up in the dropdown list.

The demo won't get updated until that version is released (soon, but don't know exactly when).

For now, you can get the same effect by sharing the album with specific users. If you do that, it will appear in the list of albums when they go to the Add Media screen.

Top Bottom