Is there a way to disallow posting in a forum based on post count? Without usergroup permissions?

Ludachris

I know this is possible with usergroup permissions, but is there any other way to prevent users with less than X posts from posting in Y and Z forums?

Why would you want to do it any other way?

That is the correct way to do it.

Mainly because of the inability to prevent demotions in the User Group Promotions feature. I can't get it to function the way we used to use it in vB and it's causing problems, so we're considering scrapping it and possibly just finding another way of preventing members from posting in certain forums based on post count. And we're also rethinking the long standing policy of having a "probationary" usergroup due to how popular Facebook is becoming in eating away at forum usage. It might be time to remove minimum requirements in an effort to not drive more people away to Facebook, where it's easy to join and participate in a group these days.

If a member reaches the post count threshold then there is no reason why they would ever be demoted.

There are many cases where we want some users who don't meet the criteria to be exempt from the demotion, we used to be able to grandfather people in without having to worry about people getting demoted. If we manually promote people in this system they just get demoted automatically if they don't meet the criteria.

In vB, we were able to create the promotion and nobody would get demoted unless we created a separate demotion, which was very useful for us. We've tried to adapt to this new functionality but it's becoming more trouble than it's worth.

If we manually promote people in this system they just get demoted automatically if they don't meet the criteria.
I'm not sure how you're doing this manual promotion, but if you actually promote them manually (via the promotions system > manage page), they will never be demoted automatically. (Similarly, you can prevent a user from ever receiving a specific promotion.)

I'm not sure how you're doing this manual promotion, but if you actually promote them manually (via the promotions system > manage page), they will never be demoted automatically. (Similarly, you can prevent a user from ever receiving a specific promotion.)
So promoting them via the promotion page would prevent them from being demoted, but manually adding a secondary usergroup via Edit User would leave them open to being demoted?

Yes. If they're given the promotion automatically (through criteria), they're open to demotion.

Top Bottom