Is there a chat app can be installed?

Usually you just upload zip through add new add-on menu, and after that you set it up to your liking. So, I think we can say it's very easy.

Bought, downloaded, unzipped and installed. I can see it in navigation but it's not showing up on the forum page.

I'm going to try it out (after working out how to get it to display) - just wondered how people find it works with a forum. Eg - is there a chance people might post on the forum less because they're using the chat instead?

Yes I can see that already - so for this particular forum I’m not sure it’s a good thing now. On the forum people can give in depth responses and advice and everyone else can look it up later. Chat was requested by a couple of members so I installed it but already someone has posted - this will be a lot easier than starting a thread. Hmm

The key is to drive quality content from the shoutbox to the forum and keep low quality on the shoutbox. Use it for community building, hello and goodbyes, small talk. Not discussing subjects.

So it comes down to how I manage it then. I left default settings and just the one chat room- not quite sure what a shout box is or how it works

So it comes down to how I manage it then. I left default settings and just the one chat room- not quite sure what a shout box is or how it works
Yes. Whoever says it's a bad idea and it kills forums fails to manage them properly.

I've seen them work. I've seen them fail. Just my two cents. Bring the quality over to the forums, keep the "spam" on the shoutboxes.

Ok - can you explain to me how a shoutbox works then please? Do I set that up as a separate room and close the main room?

Yes. Whoever says it's a bad idea and it kills forums fails to manage them properly.

I've seen them work. I've seen them fail. Just my two cents. Bring the quality over to the forums, keep the "spam" on the shoutboxes.
That is my concern - I’m not sure how to manage a chat function lol. Could be difficult to moderate it as well as the forum. This site also requires users to be anonymous and not share any personally identifying info as it relates to legal matters - for their own security - hebce wondering how easy it is to moderate

That is my concern - I’m not sure how to manage a chat function lol. Could be difficult to moderate it as well as the forum. This site also requires users to be anonymous and not share any personally identifying info as it relates to legal matters - for their own security - hebce wondering how easy it is to moderate
It's not rocket science. If you see they're having a good discussion, ask them to create a thread and proceed with the discussion. With good reasoning.

If you see people having a good chit chat, drop a link to a discussion, asking their opinion.

Below your nodes, accessible to staff and members, or premium members alone, could also work. Have it as a paid upgrade.

Decided it’s not for that forum. I’m not used to chat sites myself so would find it difficult to manage as well. It’s excellent software though.

Top Bottom