Is my forum on the right VPS?

It's spam issue. My site went up for a few hours and now I have 96 registrations awaiting approval and almost all are spam. Do spam target sites specifically? Why would it be my forum?
They are targeting your forum because you are a forum. It will be XRumer hammering it.

I'm now looking for a good anti-spam addon. I don't mind paying for it because otherwise I will end paying for hosting resources. Servint has removed my site from VPS and quarantined it. Apparently its affecting other websites on the same server.

I'm now looking for a good anti-spam addon. I don't mind paying for it because otherwise I will end paying for hosting resources. Servint has removed my site from VPS and quarantined it. Apparently its affecting other websites on the same server.
Two best choices are either @tenants or @sonnb utilities. I prefer tenants suite because it has the image captcha that you can customize, foolhoneypot, facebook anti-spam logon, StopCountrySpam when you purchase the full deal. His support is also top-notch.

If you aren't already using it, I suggest trying @tenants free version of his spam prevention suite (FoolBotHoneyPot, his imgcaptcha, AnyApi and StopHumanSpam primarily). It stops a all the spam registration attempts at the front door on my sites.

I have installed @tenants FoolBotHoneyPot add-on and so far not one spam registration got through. It's simply awesome! The spam bot hammering is still going on which I am still trying to resolve.

I have installed @tenants FoolBotHoneyPot add-on and so far not one spam registration got through. It's simply awesome! The spam bot hammering is still going on which I am still trying to resolve.
You are going to get hit... and if it is from the same IP range then you can always put a DROP rule in iptables for that block. Now you see why I really like his utility.
Another option to look at is http://www.spambotsecurity.com/zbblock.php - it is a script that you run on the front end and it checks even before the forum software runs. It CAN be a little "restrictive" and give false positives (in fact, it even told @tenants one time that he wasn't allowed to register on my site). It is also configured strictly by command line utilities.

I really like the StopHumanSpam also. I recently had a user register on the site and he was "asking about buying my style since he really liked it" and was attempting to link to his site. Due to restrictions I have in place via SHS he was unable to and it showed up in the error log.

Funny aside on it - he's running (just starting) an IPB site. Told him the first thing he'd have to do to use the style I had was purchase xenForo. ;)

I really like the StopHumanSpam also. I recently had a user register on the site and he was "asking about buying my style since he really liked it" and was attempting to link to his site. Due to restrictions I have in place via SHS he was unable to and it showed up in the error log.

Funny aside on it - he's running (just starting) an IPB site. Told him the first thing he'd have to do to use the style I had was purchase xenForo. ;)

:ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom