1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true that XenForo is more efficient than phpBB at handling large threads?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by goldframedoor, Oct 3, 2014.

1. goldframedoor

goldframedoor New Member

Is it true that XenForo is more efficient than phpBB at handling large threads with several thousands of posts? It's just that someone told me that with phpBB, querying large threads with several thousand posts from the database is something phpBB handles very poorly indeed, whereas with XenForo, it is not so much of an issue.

2. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

i have threads that over 8k pages long, no problems at all on xenforo. The only problem i ran across was moving such large threads but that was not a Xenforo problem it was just a server adjustment that need to be done.

goldframedoor likes this.
  3. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There are several XenForo boards who have threads in the 100k+ post marks. :)

goldframedoor likes this.
  4. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

100k? that's chump change. :)

replies.PNG

Didnt mean to sound like i was showing off or anything, just making it clear xenforo handles large threads efficiently and easily.

rafass, goldframedoor and Slavik like this.
  5. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

I have a number of threads with tens of thousands of posts and none of them seem to load any slower than single page threads.

6. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

I've had 3 posts per second for 4 hours work just fine.

7. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

XenForo does have a design with threads to make viewing page 1000 (or whatever high page number) as efficient as viewing page 1. The "simple" way of doing pagination tends to slow down roughly linearly per page. (I don't know how phpBB handles pagination in threads.)

Thomas.B, goldframedoor and DeltaHF like this.
  8. goldframedoor

goldframedoor New Member

Thanks for all the reassuring replies so far everybody. (y)