Is it safe to try XenForo 1.4 in live site?

Enguerran A

Hello there,

I'm willing to install XenForo 1.4 on my board because it seems that I can't send email through the contact form (I don't know why, I have seen something with reply-to header mail ... I don't speak Greek guys ><"). This issue is apparently solved in 1.4 but I don't want to break my site, allowing people to come in easily and burn my server. So, question is simple, is it safe to install 1.4 =D :)

Hit'

I know they don't, but I would like to know how far my forum can break if I still update it. I have too much people contacting me within the contact form without being able to answer them (parternship in most case) ^^'

If you don't have too many addons or a heavily customized style, it may work. I have upgraded my smaller forum which doesn't require many 3rd party addons and everything is working perfectly! However, you should always be cautious and have backups in case something goes wrong.

All my sites have been running various 1.4 betas since it was released. I run daily backups so i wasn't to concerned.. A XF beta is generally always far more stable than a certain competitors gold releases.

Last edited:
Hello there,

I'm willing to install XenForo 1.4 on my board because it seems that I can't send email through the contact form (I don't know why, I have seen something with reply-to header mail ... I don't speak Greek guys ><"). This issue is apparently solved in 1.4 but I don't want to break my site, allowing people to come in easily and burn my server. So, question is simple, is it safe to install 1.4 =D :)

Hit'

If you are knowledgeable about PHP, MySQL, Web Servers and feel confortable reading and debugging code, meaning you can solve any issue that arises, yourself, without external support, go ahead.

If you think in the event of something breaking you would not know how to proceed, do not use it.

It is working fine for me - I have 25 add ons (dont know if that is a lot). I use the standard xenforo style with a few customisations (nothing major).
Zero issues to date - if anything it is more stable that 1.3.1 which I was running before.

If you are knowledgeable about PHP, MySQL, Web Servers and feel confortable reading and debugging code, meaning you can solve any issue that arises, yourself, without external support, go ahead.

If you think in the event of something breaking you would not know how to proceed, do not use it.
I don't know how to do any of that stuff but I do know how to make a backup and revert to it if needed..

I don't know how to do any of that stuff but I do know how to make a backup and revert to it if needed..
That would work
Remember to backup both your /xenforo directory and the database, since content in internal_data/ and data/ might be modified.

The upgrade .zip doesn't touch either of those directories.

It's still good practice to take a full backup though.

Reactions: rdn
The upgrade .zip doesn't touch either of those directories.

It's still good practice to take a full backup though.
For efficiently rolling back to a previous versions the full XenForo directory needs to be restored from a backup, not only the database. Otherwise any files created in internal_data and data would remain in the rolled back installation.

All my sites have been running various 1.4 betas since it was released. I run daily backups so i wasn't to concerned.. A XF beta is generally always far more stable than a certain competitors gold releases.
I couldn't possibly imagine who you are referring too? :D :D :ROFLMAO:

Well, I upgraded my forum and get problems with only 2 Add-ons. And not serious problems, some error messages in Admin Panel

i think the developers say not update to 1.4 its not for live forums.Why people want be a smart ones??

Top Bottom