Is it possible to merge 64 pages worth of threads into one post?

cmeinck

Crazy question, but I'm doing away with the Introductions forum on my site in a favor of one big welcome thread. Too many spammers hitting it and way too much duplication, thin content.

Is it possible or should I do it in pieces?

Wouldn't that make a confusing mess of a thread?

When you merge threads, the posts are put in date and time order, which could be confusing when reading it as to who is responding to whom.

Are the spammers hitting the existing introduction threads or are they creating new ones? If the latter, couldn't you just have new members moderated for the first few posts?

From past experience, users on the sites I've been part of quite like their own intro threads as they get 'individual attention' from members asking them questions and they can then revisit them in years to come to celebrate their Xth anniversary since they joined.

Wouldn't that make a confusing mess of a thread?

When you merge threads, the posts are put in date and time order, which could be confusing when reading it as to who is responding to whom.

Are the spammers hitting the existing introduction threads or are they creating new ones? If the latter, couldn't you just have new members moderated for the first few posts?

From past experience, users on the sites I've been part of quite like their own intro threads as they get 'individual attention' from members asking them questions and they can then revisit them in years to come to celebrate their Xth anniversary since they joined.

That hasn't been my experience. Most are vague, thin and often lack any depth of introduction. I rarely if ever see people revisit their welcome threads.

Having one big introduction thread might be a good way to keep new members active. Let's face it, forums often face the challenge of getting members past that introduction post to becoming a regular contributor.

Yes, the result would be messy, but no more than 64 pages of threads, riddled with thin content.

That hasn't been my experience. Most are vague, thin and often lack any depth of introduction. I rarely if ever see people revisit their welcome threads.
Do you have introduction guidelines in place (what to post, minimum post length, certain questions to answer)? That has helped in my gaming community, though I do admit that it's fairly easy to recount your gaming history and favourite games.

Having one big introduction thread might be a good way to keep new members active. Let's face it, forums often face the challenge of getting members past that introduction post to becoming a regular contributor.
I'm interested to know how you think a long, single intro thread will keep new members active as opposed to individual threads?

You are right, it's always a challenge to get members to become regular contributors. It's about getting them to feel like 'crew' rather than 'passengers' and feel their opinion is valued as much as a long-term member. You'll never get everyone to be involved though, no matter how hard you try!

You can do it, but I wouldn't suggest you try it at once. It may take you longer, but you'll have less issues if you do it incrementally (ie, 5-10 threads at once).

Members that are subscribed to the thread will receive notifications of each new member.
Ah OK. That will be up to individuals to watch the thread though.

Don't forget that 1.2 brings the new feature of watching a forum, which could be useful to keep new members active.

Top Bottom