1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to have two forum software's on one site?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Kent55, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Kent55

Kent55 Active Member

Hi, this may sound weird but is it possible to use multiple forum software's on one site? Say if I put XenForo in a forum directory and had another in no directory would it work?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

3. Kent55

Kent55 Active Member

I don't really know :LOL: I just wondered as it would be quite funny having like 6 different forum software's on one site :) Plus I have licences for vBulletin and XenForo so I was wondering if I could use both on one site!

Thanks! I'll try it later! :D

P.S would I need to create a new database for the second forum or do I just use the same one?
  4. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

You could use the same database, as long as the applications don't use the same table names. Give them a prefix if possible.
    Kent55 likes this.
  5. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Yeah you could. However it's going to bog the server down something awful. Depends on your server size really. Think of all the resources it takes for one forum to run.
    Kent55 likes this.
  6. Kent55

Kent55 Active Member

My web host has unlimited disk space and bandwidth will it make any difference or will it still bog my server(s) down?
  7. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Neither of those will help. It's processing power, not bandwidth/space which is limited.
    Cal likes this.
  8. Kent55

Kent55 Active Member

ahhhhh okay thanks!!
  9. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as unlimited except in advertising gimmicks. All things have limits. Most of those unlimited hosts are shared hosting anyways - meaning other people can slow your site down without you doing anything. Shared hosting is cheap but a very unfair system, which is why I stay far away from it.

Rob said it - RAM and Memory. Those are the the things that matter.
  10. Kent55

Kent55 Active Member

I have VPS hosting I never had shared.

P.S Your site has a spelling error in the rules page.
    Thought I would let you know. ;)

If it is meant to be like this then sorry.
  11. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You should set a different cookie prefix for each forum so their cookies don't conflict. Add this code to the library/config.php file:

$config['cookie'] = array(
    	'prefix' => 'xf_',
    	'path' => '/',
    	'domain' => ''
    Kent55 likes this.
  12. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have to get rid of them rules anyway. They're dated.
  13. ShadyX

ShadyX Well-Known Member

Very offtopic but I lol'd harrd.
    Kent55 likes this.
  14. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I don't remember but I was probably drunk when I made them lol. We just went to a no rule model anyways. So it's not needed. We respond to reports instead of scaling the entire forum looking for problems.
    Kent55 likes this.
  15. Kent55

Kent55 Active Member

Do I do this if I am using two separate databases?

Also how would I make it so that I can use them both on the same database?
  16. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You don't. There would be table conflicts.
  17. Kent55

Kent55 Active Member

Sorted it! I've added my XenForo site to the 'Quick Links' menu on my vBulletin site.
    Thanks! for all your help! :)