1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to embed an mgc chatbox still being served by a live vB into an XF Page or Other area

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by HydraulicJack, Feb 27, 2011.

1. HydraulicJack

HydraulicJack Well-Known Member

NOTE: This is post is no longer an issue, thanks to TaigaChat! 20111025

To maintain my SE ranking I will need to continue running vB as a live archive as it's not practical to remap all of the vBSEO'd links.

Therefore, my mgc chatbox (highly customized) will still be running on that system.

Is it possible therefore to embed the live chatbox into an XF "Page" and allow people logged in to vB and XF to use it? Bit of a long shot, but I thot I'd ask.
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The vBSEO links for your forum content can be redirected using these scripts:

These redirect scripts should work in conjunction with your vBSEO rewrite rules.

Possible I'm sure. But I can think of several possible problems with that approach. I wouldn't want to try to implement that. It would be better to do a complete migration and disable the old forum.
    HydraulicJack likes this.
  3. HydraulicJack

Thanks very much Jake. I was hoping somebody would say that!
    Complete disable still a bit of challenge because of the vB Blogs content.
    How do THOSE links get handled by vBSEO redirection script?
    I don't have a huge number of Blogs... less than 100, and less than 100 posts per blog.
    I do not want to use WordPress for the blogs area - I want it to all be under the XF roof.

Considering the relatively low number of blogs likely (1000 or less, for a while anyway)
    I asked K & M if there might be a way to create a Blog-like area in the Forum and use a permissions scheme for that area
    that allows each registered user to create one sub-forum (i.e. their blog) where only they can create new threads, but all registered members could reply, and they said that would be feasible.
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

HydraulicJack and Umit like this.
  5. HydraulicJack

Thanks Brogan! I assume that then the permissions can be tweaked so that everyone can read the blog forum and only the blogger for a given blog can create new threads in it, to which all registered users may reply. Is it a correct assumption that admin will be able to configure this area in such a manner? Thanks again, HJ
  6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if that importer creates a single forum for all blogs or separate forums for all blogs. The permissions you described are only possible if each blog is a separate forum, and then you would have to grant user-level permissions to each author. It would be tedious to setup those permissions.
    HydraulicJack likes this.
  7. HydraulicJack

Thanks Jake. Yeah a bit tedious, but fortunately the number of blogs is still relatively small so may not be too bad.
    Glad to know it's doable!
  8. HydraulicJack

One thing though... I never upgraded to 4.crap so I'll be using the 3.8 importer. Does that still have the feature of converting blogs into the private forums?
    Thanks again, guys!
  9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The 3.x importer only imports the following:

User Groups
    Custom Avatars
    Private Messages
    Visitor Messages
    Threads and Posts
  10. HydraulicJack

Thanks Brogan... Can't say I like the news but still glad I didn't upgrade to 4.wtf
    I'll figure something out...

THREAD UPDATE... Thanks to TaigaChat now being pretty stable (THANKS D/I!) I no longer have to sweat the customized chatbox at my vB installation. I can now follow Jake's advice and get ON with it!!!