Is it possible to default What's New Tab to New Posts ?

There isn't, but the closest equivalent perhaps is switching your forum index page to be new posts. There's an option for that.

EDIT: As demonstrated above!

1502553381176.webp

I see the BIG blue New Posts button. 1502553648805.webp

I think that's because alot of forum users want to get to New Posts.
Smart idea.

Another option, without adding an entirely new button taking up real estate, is to allow clicking 1502553555326.webp to direct people to
https://xenforo.com/community/whats-new/posts/

I am very surprised after waiting so long for "Tab Management" in Xenforo (7 years), simple things like being able to set the default location for a tab is not available. Surely giving admins choice is a good idea ?

Q: For the Members Tab, does Xenforo 2.0, force people to have the Notable members as the exclusive landing page for that tab ? Can I not use "Current Visitors" as the default landing page ?

Note: Here was a XF1 addon/tip that allowed you to change the default landing page of the Member's Tab to something other than Notable members.

Last edited:
I am very surprised after waiting so long for "Tab Management" in Xenforo (7 years), simple things like being able to set the default location for a tab is not available. Surely giving admins choice is a good idea ?
?
Just editing the tab and changing the link from
Code:
{{ link('whats-new') }}

to

Code:
{{ link('whats-new/posts') }}
should to the trick.

Last edited:
@Kirby That's great for someone who is a coder but not so intuative for someone who would not even know how or where to find that code to change it. This whole new system should be KISS for everyone. Great to make it so it's easier for coders to make add-ons and themes, not so much for the rest of us who need/want on off switches.

?
Just editing the tab and changing the link form should to the trick.
Interesting.
Thanks for the information :)
I never expected it would be hard to do.

What I am suggesting is ... why would I not be allowed to easily change the destination of links on my own site without code editing ?

I really wouldn't call changing a link "code editing" - the navigation system was purposely made to allow admins to easily change links.

edit-navigation.webp
Even for a non-developers it should be quite obvious what needs to be changed.

I really don't understand what "code editing" you are referring to, it's just a link in navigation setup that need to be changed.

I really wouldn't call changing a link "code editing" - the navigation system was purposely made to allow admins to easily change links.

View attachment 155661
Even for a non-developer it should be quite obvious what needs to be changed:
Actually that looks great. Thanks for posting.
I didnt know it was that easy (I dont have XF 2.0 beta).
I think that looks just perfect.

Chris D said:
There isn't
I think there is !

I don't have a Beta either, the screenshot is from DP 10 - the navigation manager system has been there since the first Alpha release.

Navigation manager system
We've talked about this elsewhere, but the navigation at the top of the page is now entirely controllable through the control panel. You can add custom entries and move them around. Add-ons can associate their own entries too.

I think that looks just perfect.

I think there is !
Well the custom defined value could get wiped out in upgrades (though it depends on a bit of work left to do which will allow certain add on data to be retained across upgrades though it may or may not include the navigation link).

Well the custom defined value could get wiped out in upgrades
If that is the case I think you should either
  1. Prevent users from editing non-custom entries
  2. Flag entries edited outside of developement mode as "tainted" and do not touch them on upgrades
  3. Be prepared for complaints :)
The system is freely available for admins to use and there is no indication that modifications would get lost upon upgrades.
This seems non-intuitive to me, I wouldn't have expected such a behaviour.

this looks like changing code to me
Honestly... hopefully an admin would be smart enough to figure that out.
Otherwise, I personally don't think they have any business "running" a live forum as an administrator. Some people may get offended by that outlook, but I don't really worry about that as I'm not a person to tell others stuff to make them feel all warm and fuzzy. There is a certain level of knowledge that should be (and frequently is) expected to be had by people wanting to partake in certain fields of endeavor.
There reaches a point where the so-called "administrators" of a forum should be expected to have some basic knowledge for the area they are "investing"" in (administering a web based site). If they have no desire to gain that knowledge then they need to let someone who DOES have it administer their site and just call themselves what they are in reality - Site Owner.

Not everyone has the skill set to do the simplest coding that you sugest @Tracy Perry but that does not preclude them from being or calling themselves an admin. Even the (simple as you see it) code editing suggestion without specific direction as to where it is located, (which was provided in an update to his first post) is without direction not simple to me. And for you to berate anyone whether or not I should be an admin is beyond your scope of understanding because you are a self professed know it all. You have helped others, myself included, to the ninth degree in the past but for some reason you have now taken on a different role. Thanks for all your past help but keep your pious comments to your self.

It is a textual representation of a link, just as any URL is, which also works fine.

Top Bottom