RM 1.2 Is it possible to change file storage location?

My apologies, I should have been more specific.

I use those configs/addons now, to keep my attachments in an external directory and served through my CDN, but would prefer to set a specific place just for uploaded resources available for download by users.

The problem is that there currently isn't controls in place to deal with the size of specific files, such as ZIP and PDF. Users are sharing large PDFs of manuals or component diagrams. It would be easier if I disallowed ZIP/PDF in posts and allowed it in Resources (if that is possible).

For example users attached the user manual for a particular 2004 model motorcycle more than once, each copy being roughly 14mb in file size. I'd like to setup a simple Resource category for manuals and let them see if they still need to upload it.

The other problem is the size of these files, and would like to specify a place just for resource attachments. For example, an uploaded resource file is encrypted and put on a public S3 bucket. When a user downloads it comes from the S3 as it's intended filename. This wouldn't be completely secure, but it would keep these large files off of my primary server.

Hope this helps,

Just FYI, but resource attachments are just part of the attachment system, which is content agnostic. That's why things that move attachments move them regardless of the system using them.

Just FYI, but resource attachments are just part of the attachment system, which is content agnostic. That's why things that move attachments move them regardless of the system using them.

Ok. The problem is that I can handle optimizing images, but haven't come up with a way to optimize a PDF. So if someone uploads a large PDF, because I'm allowing large uploads of pictures (before they are sized down/optimized dramatically), for the most part I'm left hosting a file that isn't being reduced in size.

Maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way. Is there an addon or best-practice that I should be considering instead?

I'm not sure what you mean "optimize a PDF". I'm also not sure what you mean about large uploads of pictures in regards to resizing. The upload limits when it comes to images would relate to the post-resize value, so setting dimensions as you wish would probably be sufficient.

My comment was mostly just to emphasize that moving just the resource attachments wouldn't be possible (and likely won't be in the future) because the attachment data is identical to an attachment to a post, for example. You could not allow resource uploads though if you prefer (having the users provide the download URL manually).

Top Bottom