Is it normal for a shared host to not have GeoIP installed?

GeoIP support seems patchy with shared webhosts, some have it, some don't I'm afraid.
Would you know of any cheap hosts that do? I pay 34.95 a month but apparently it ain't enough to get something like that.

Most shared host will not GOIP installed for their customers to use. It can be a bit of a resource hog when you have 500 + other sites on 1 server all trying to use it. Keep in mind that most shared host are also over sold.

There are some who do have it though, but not many.

$34.95 a month? At that price you could indeed get yourself a VPS and install it yourself.

Most shared host will not GOIP installed for their customers to use. It can be a bit of a resource hog when you have 500 + other sites on 1 server all trying to use it. Keep in mind that most shared host are also over sold. There are some who do have it though, but not many.

$34.95 a month? At that price you could indeed get yourself a VPS and install it yourself.
Yeah my current bill is $34.95 a month and includes 15GB RAID-10 Disk Space, 300 GB Premium Bandwidth, R1 Hourly Backup, Softaculous and has Cpanel. When I was shopping around for a vBulletin host I saw their reviews on vbulletin.com and they were generally good.

I know a VPS is better but I can't afford to go higher than what I pay now. My hosts cheapest VPS package says $109 a month, 512 MB RAM, 10GB RAID-10 Disk Space. 200 Premium Bandwidth, R1 Hourly Backup, CPanel/WHM included, Softaculous, Fully Managed VPS, vBulletin Services. blah blah I don't understand half of that stuff. I'm relatively new at this website. My site www.The8thLegion.com was started 1 and a half years ago. Before that I had no webmaster experience other than pimping out my myspace.

Would you know of any cheap hosts that do? I pay 34.95 a month but apparently it ain't enough to get something like that.

What? Your paying 34.95 "per month" for shared hosting. Your being daylight robbed!!! I only paid 60 for the whole year. You can get VPS cheaper than what your paying for shared hosting easy. Did you have a "Please rob me blind" sticker on your back when they saw you coming?

What? Your paying 34.95 "per month" for shared hosting. Your being daylight robbed!!! I only paid 60 for the whole year. You can get VPS cheaper than what your paying for shared hosting easy. Did you have a "Rob me blind" sticker on your back when they saw you coming?
Hmm.

They loaded it for me. Now I have a ticket and they are taking a look at it to see why it's not working.

I'm just gon
They loaded it for me. Now I have a ticket and they are taking a look at it to see why it's not working.
I'm gonna look for another host cause from what people are telling me I'm paying too much.

You shouldn't need the GeoIP extension unless the coder explicitly requires it. What you need is access to the GeoIP functions and constants; download the GeoIP PHP module and find a way to include it. I would recommend a code event listener on the init_dependencies event.

Yeah my current bill is $34.95 a month and includes 15GB RAID-10 Disk Space, 300 GB Premium Bandwidth, R1 Hourly Backup, Softaculous and has Cpanel. When I was shopping around for a vBulletin host I saw their reviews on vbulletin.com and they were generally good.

I know a VPS is better but I can't afford to go higher than what I pay now. My hosts cheapest VPS package says $109 a month, 512 MB RAM, 10GB RAID-10 Disk Space. 200 Premium Bandwidth, R1 Hourly Backup, CPanel/WHM included, Softaculous, Fully Managed VPS, vBulletin Services. blah blah I don't understand half of that stuff. I'm relatively new at this website. My site www.The8thLegion.com was started 1 and a half years ago. Before that I had no webmaster experience other than pimping out my myspace.

Seek an alternative host.

At $34.95 you can get a VPS with more ram and cpu then you are using now.

Hell for $45.00 you can get a Dedicated Server for AMD Quad-Core (4 Core) CPU, 8 GB DDR-3 ram, with 2x 1,000 GB SATA II-HDD.

Seek an alternative host.

At $34.95 you can get a VPS with more ram and cpu then you are using now.

Hell for $45.00 you can get a Dedicated Server for AMD Quad-Core (4 Core) CPU, 8 GB DDR-3 ram, with 2x 1,000 GB SATA II-HDD.
lol all that technical stuff is alien gibberish to me. The reason I went with my host in the first place is not so much because of their specs but because of the user reviews. Before I buy stuff I usually read the reviews, not on their own websites but on other websites because hopefully the reviews aren't biased. Besides wanting to be able to use Digital Point's User Map, I want a host that also works well with Cloudflare. I would have to hunt down reviews of site's hosts that uses Cloudflare. I tried using Cloudflare with URLJET but Cloudflare would make the site go offline. For months I went back-n-forth with both my host and Cloudflare to fix the issue but nothing we did worked.

And for people wondering why I said overseas, it's due to America's current administration. The stupid bills that have been coming up like SOPA and all the drama with FBI shutting sites down with no warning even when they didn't do anything wrong, makes me uncomfortable.

Top Bottom