Is it normal for a shared host to not have GeoIP installed?

If needing to use a host for anonymity and a paid script like XF I was just curious if one could come unstuck if a court order was used to require ownership info from XF for a domain using the script, The main reason for asking was because of the level of service www.prq.se offers.

If needing to use a host for anonymity and a paid script like XF I was just curious if one could come unstuck if a court order was used to require ownership info from XF for a domain using the script, The main reason for asking was because of the level of service www.prq.se offers.

While www.prq.se is know for protecting the ID of it's users (good privacy policy), it's also known for protecting it's legal content and not simply giving into peer pressure to shutdown web sites, which is the more valued service (useful for fake or disputed DMCA notices).

XF requires that the contact information matches that of the purchaser, but this need not match the domain holder or the web host holder, which could technically be maintain by different parties. Hypercritically for example, I could purchase you a copy of XF and simply give you the account to do as you will.

I looked at all the hosts that I were posted and one thing they had in common is that they either did not have cpanel or they had something else like plesk which I don't know wtf that is. They also charged at least $10 for it. Adding cpanel and softaculous ended up going over my 34.95 limit but mostly because I don't know the speed or cpu etc of my own shared host server. If I was to switch to another host I'd have to do so later because this the kind of stuff that I require personal research since I'm still basically a noob.

Another thing that I fear about offshore hosts is that I wouldn't want my site hosted somewhere that could be easily bombed by terrorists or the U.S. (since we're always blowing stuff up overseas). Okay I'm just playing with this last paragraph lol.

Plesk is included in most of those web host. They only cost extra in some of them if you want more then the standard 10 domain names... ie... You can host up to a max of 10 different sites on your standard Plesk install (Cpanel also has a limit if I recall).

A VPS or Dedicated Server can of course hold more than 1 web site (if you didn't know). If you plan to host 10 or less sites, you have nothing to worry about.

Plesk is a control panel, just like Cpanel is a control panel or DirectAdmin or WebAdmin ...ect..ect.... There are many alternatives to Cpanel. Plesk is just as easy to use, but has a few more options that are standard.

Personally, I prefer to use a VPS or Dedicated Server without a control panel. As any control panel you add, does use resources and typically is limited to only the software that is supported or installed with the control panel.

Without one, you have a lot more playing room, flexibility, and save on resources. Of course this means learning how to configure things manually and while they can b a little tricky at first, it can save you more in the long run.

As for your 2nd concern, that is more of a global concern. But the above listed examples... Europe / Asia, typically are a safe bet vs had I listed something in the middle east, such as Iran (which I didn't list).

I'm currently using Vidahost's Cloud. Good responses, they are good answering tickets, and know their stuff IMO. They have an offer on at the moment where you can get 3 months for £1 (normal price £9.99) on their default package. Since it's cloud, it's completely Scalable :)

I could refer, however i'd rather someone get the benefit direct. https://www.vidahost.com/page/cloud-technology for more info (just to add i'm not linked in any way, just a satisfied customer). This is after crappy experiences with several other hosts...

Paul

Switched host or did your current host step up their game (or did you tweak something) ?
URLJET hooked it up.

Finding an overseas host will take me a little more research than normal. I don't want to get some host that's always having site downtime issues.

URLJET hooked it up.

Finding an overseas host will take me a little more research than normal. I don't want to get some host that's always having site downtime issues.

Many off shore hostings has great up time.... Of course don't use my site as an example... I like to play around with stuff, so my up time isn't perfect.

As long as you're happy though. That's what matters.

Since this thread has turned into recommending web hosting I will throw in the one I use and recommend it has Cpanel and they've been responsive anytime I've had a question. Even adding the scripting/programming needed for animated avatars when requested. I think rates are like 30 to 105 euros a year for shared Cpanel (I'm from the US) http://www.weservit.nl/en/hosting

Top Bottom