Is it just me, or are all of the pictures on xF broken?

Lynk

I would very much like to consider switching my planned launches to xF, since I recently had a problem with my pilot site's vB installation. Eventhough I have paid more than a single license purchase of vB for my site's installation, which is only a year-and-a-half old, the support folks at vB were trying to extort more money from me for support. If it wasn't for Shamil, my site would still be broken.

Well, these forums seem to exhibiting much the same problems as my site. It ended-up being a BOM in the UTF-8 configuration file, which contains the connection strings, was corrupting every script on my site. So, now for my two questions:
  • Is there any ETA for the repairs here, or is the functionality just broken in my IE8 installation?
  • Would a couple of larger board installations of xF please share a link to their site?

Can you explain what the problem is exactly?
Is it here on XenForo.com or your own installation?

I haven't seen any problems related to "broken images" with several different browsers, including various versions of Internet Explorer.

Can you explain what the problem is exactly?
Is it here on XenForo.com or your own installation?

I haven't seen any problems related to "broken images" with several different browsers, including various versions of Internet Explorer.

The problem is that I don't see any pictures on this site, just a bunch of red "X"es, script errors all over the place, and very slow response time. I just double-checked from my work laptop, as I type this from my desktop. Both machines are running Windows 7 with IE8. The version on my desktop is 8.0.7601.17514. I'll try to give you a screen scrape.

The script error that occurs on every page is "Xenforo.Facebook" is null or not an object. The Preview button doesn't work, when I reply. Here's a scrape of this Pre-Sales forum, as I view it in my browser...

xenforo-pubforums.png

The only reason that I mentioned my forums is because I can't risk putting my own community through another round of broken pictures and scripts. Seems unfortunate that that's what I see here, right now. I have no doubts that the support here will be better than vB.

Certainly not a firewall setting. I have nothing more than Windows Firewall active on this machine, and manage my own PIX firewall. Besides, scripts and pictures follow the same HTTP session as the text and other mark-up. Nice thinking, though.

You mention this is from your workplace, so I would have to agree with Steven and suggest that it's something to do with the firewall.

I haven't seen anyone else report an error of this sort before.

LOL... I work from home. There are no proxies involved, and my firewall is configured as simply as possible. In fact, stateful inspection and simple PAT is all that runs there. As a datacommunications engineer for over 12 years, I can assure you that this isn't a "network" problem.

I get this some times it's very odd on alot of xenforo sites.. I thought it was me than I went to my brothers house.. and the odd time again it was just like that

LOL... I work from home. There are no proxies involved, and my firewall is configured as simply as possible. In fact, stateful inspection and simple PAT is all that runs there. As a datacommunications engineer for over 12 years, I can assure you that this isn't a "network" problem.

do you see this effect only in IE-bowser or in all browsers?
FireFox the same?

do you see this effect only in IE-bowser or in all browsers?
FireFox the same?

I was wondering it myself, so I just tried from Firefox, after stripping-out the proxy information on my work laptop. The problems are still there, except Firefox isn't complaining. Firefox simply doesn't show graphics, and loads the pages a lot quicker.
I guarantee you that the error it is on your end.

On what basis? I visited a couple of the boards listed in Steven's signature, and they seemed to work alright. Or is it simply that you aren't experiencing a problem, therefore can assure me that I have flawed configurations? I actually have a server in a collocation unit. I run a vBulletin community, as well as several other domains. Since two-thirds of my community's traffic comes from Internet Explorer, I will not risk the integrity of a site on such a "guarantee" that you offer.

Well by your own admission you encounter the same problem on your vB forums, here and several other XenForo forums.

The common denominator would seem to be you.

As I said, I haven't seen a single other mention of this in almost 200,000 posts.

Check my forums at drzforums.com, Brogan. I told you that this site is exhibiting something *similar* to a problem that I have since fixed on that site. Do you want to sell your product, or drive away a customer who intends on purchase of a dozen or more licenses?
... and actually, I admitted to seeing no problems on Steven's xF sites. This is the only site where I have knowingly seen such a problem with XenForo.

Looked at drzforums.com. I don't see any problems there. I am confused about the " "Xenforo.Facebook" is null or not an object." error. I wonder, is that a coincidence to the images problem, or is it related to the problem? Do the images link to a path when you right click them? Chmod issue on your server?

I am by no means an expert on any of this stuff. Just giving some thoughts.

My next check is going to be in session state. I'm typing this on my iPad, which is showing avatars correctly, while set to use the AT&T mobile network. As soon as I switch to my WLAN, the site is broken again. If the server is trying to spawn new connections to my client for the purpose of image hosting, that would indeed cause a break on any stateful inspection engine (firewall), and would represent a flaw in coding.

Consequently, a bad Facebook handoff would be blocked, as well. I'll report my findings later. Good to know that pictures are visible for most.

This is the only site where I have knowingly seen such a problem with XenForo.
The only difference between this site and most other sites is a cookie-less domain is used for images, etc. (xenforo.net), so it's possible that is related.

It's not my intention to drive you away, I did actually flag this thread to the developers over an hour ago, as soon as I was aware of it.
No doubt Kier or Mike will respond as soon as they are able.

Yes, yes... a cookie-less domain may well be the issue. Thank you for giving this some attention.

I don't see any obvious signs of blocked connections in my firewall logs, but I'll gladly look into them a bit deeper when I have some more time.

Top Bottom