XF 2.1 Is is possible to move one post to annother thread?

DigNap15

Hello
Is it possible to move one post from one thread to another?
I've had a look around and I can't find a way to do this
Thanks

Yes.
  1. Move the post into the same forum as the thread you want to merge it into - it will become it's own 1 post thread.
  2. In the forum view, check the inline moderation boxes for both the target thread and the post you just moved there.
  3. At the bottom, click on the Choose Action box and select merge.
  4. Click on Go.
  5. You will be asked which title you want for the merged thread: pick the one for the target thread.
  6. Then you probably want to select no redirection.
  7. Finally click the Merge button at the bottom.

That's it. You're done.

What version of Xenforo are you guys using? I'm on 2.1
I can't find any of that,
DJ Baxter 1 "Move the post" - I cannot find any option or way to move a post.
JermeyP I cannot find this "Inline Moderation" dialogue box

You don't normally need to do that. It's one of the nice things about how Xenforo structures their URLs.
I probably didn't describe it clear. Sorry.
Say I have 2 threads - domain.com/threads/thread-one.xxx/ and domain.com/threads/thread-two.yyy/
If I moved second to first, google's spider will find out that second gives 404 and it will gone from search results, and I'll lose those visitors, who landed on second page from google search. 301 redirect (in htaccess?) would help, but if I'll do it say to 100 threads, 100 lines in htaccess probably is a bad idea as it would probably slow down load speed of all my pageas (not just those 100).

If I moved second to first, google's spider will find out that second gives 404

I think you mean merge, not move????

When you merge two threads, you get offered the option to leave a redirect. You need to tick this in order for the URL of the thread was was merged to remain valid.

The original thread title then remains in the threadlist of that forum, but it redirects of course. If you don't want that, you'd need to do a 301.

Without that actual redirect in the threadlist (or a 301) any existing external links to that thread, or users' bookmarks will become broken.

Last edited:
One issue is that it seems individual post URLs do not get redirected if you move a post from one thread into another. I am surprised because I thought they did

Top Bottom