Is buying/selling XenForo licensed allowed?

karoshio

I am looking to get another license and I have seen many people selling them but I wasn't sure if it was actually allowed.

I had a read around and I read something that mentioned that you must have written consent from XenForo but I am unsure if I was reading the write thing.

Any information would be appreciated.

You may not rent, lease, sublicense, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of XenForo Limited

That is what I was looking at.

Can you quote what you're referring to where it says you're allowed but cannot sell again? That sounds odd.

That is what I was looking at.

Can you quote what you're referring to where it says you're allowed but cannot sell again? That sounds odd.

read the last line.

The Software may be permanently transferred by the original purchaser to a third party ("Subsequent Licensee") not before 120 days following purchase, provided that the expiry date of the License falls after the date of the transfer. The original licensee may not retain a copy or installation of the Software. The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer.

Ah, I understand I think anyway.

So it's not possible to buy a second hand copy and have it moved to another account? I may be reading it wrong.

You can buy a second hand license and use it for your own purposes.

You can't then sell/transfer that second hand license again.

Once it has been sold/transferred by the original owner, it can't be sold/transferred again.

Thanks Brogan. Can I just clarify to does transfer mean transfer to a different account?

Also why is it that it cannot be sold more than one and how could it be known it they were? (Only asking for my own curiosity and understanding.)

Thanks Brogan. Can I just clarify to does transfer mean transfer to a different account?
A different owner.

Also why is it that it cannot be sold more than one and how could it be known it they were? (Only asking for my own curiosity and understanding.)
You have to get permission from XenForo to transfer and the owner record must be updated, which is how they would know.
As for why, that's the company policy.

And no, they currently do not have a program for companies to buy in bulk and resell for others.

What you can do is offer a bundle option yourself. Bypass the EULA.
XenFans has an all in one package that includes configuring the forum structure, permissions, subscriptions, promotions, staff documentation writing, and what not. Included with it all is a xenforo license. We purchase it on behalf of the company - in their name.

That way you don't have to buy it first and sell it later. You pay using your paypal details, but enter their company details - and of course provide them with the purchase details from paypal may they decide in the future to transfer it to another party.

Since it's a bundle package the combination of it all and the upfront pay covers the license price, etc.

Top Bottom