1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is buying/selling XenForo licensed allowed?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by karoshio, Dec 8, 2011.

1. karoshio

karoshio Active Member

I am looking to get another license and I have seen many people selling them but I wasn't sure if it was actually allowed.

I had a read around and I read something that mentioned that you must have written consent from XenForo but I am unsure if I was reading the write thing.

Any information would be appreciated.

2. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

3. karoshio

karoshio Active Member

That is what I was looking at.

Can you quote what you're referring to where it says you're allowed but cannot sell again? That sounds odd.

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

read the last line.

5. karoshio

karoshio Active Member

Ah, I understand I think anyway.

So it's not possible to buy a second hand copy and have it moved to another account? I may be reading it wrong.

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can buy a second hand license and use it for your own purposes.

You can't then sell/transfer that second hand license again.

Once it has been sold/transferred by the original owner, it can't be sold/transferred again.

rafass likes this.
  7. karoshio

karoshio Active Member

Thanks Brogan. Can I just clarify to does transfer mean transfer to a different account?

Also why is it that it cannot be sold more than one and how could it be known it they were? (Only asking for my own curiosity and understanding.)

8. Thomas P

Thomas P Member

Even if the subsequent buyer has waited 120 day?

9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

A different owner.

You have to get permission from XenForo to transfer and the owner record must be updated, which is how they would know.
    As for why, that's the company policy.

10. Floris

Floris Guest

And no, they currently do not have a program for companies to buy in bulk and resell for others.

What you can do is offer a bundle option yourself. Bypass the EULA.
    XenFans has an all in one package that includes configuring the forum structure, permissions, subscriptions, promotions, staff documentation writing, and what not. Included with it all is a xenforo license. We purchase it on behalf of the company - in their name.

That way you don't have to buy it first and sell it later. You pay using your paypal details, but enter their company details - and of course provide them with the purchase details from paypal may they decide in the future to transfer it to another party.

Since it's a bundle package the combination of it all and the upfront pay covers the license price, etc.