Is any one running your Xenforo forum on dedicated servers of OVH?

webmastersun

I heard more good feedback about dedicated servers from OVH but I have not tried it in the past. Is any one here running your Xenforo forum on dedicated servers of OVH? I am interested in moving my Xenforo forum to a dedicated server of OVH but I don't know it has better performance than my current hosting or not. Just want to hear your thoughts first.

Thanks

Do not trust OVH Canada, they have employees that are deceitful, lying and dirty criminals and they as a company will code red against you once you catch them even if they know you are right.

Outside of that I have no opinion for you.

I heard more good feedback about dedicated servers from OVH but I have not tried it in the past. Is any one here running your Xenforo forum on dedicated servers of OVH? I am interested in moving my Xenforo forum to a dedicated server of OVH but I don't know it has better performance than my current hosting or not. Just want to hear your thoughts first.
And I've got a dedicated from them that I've had no issues with for about the last year. I run 1 XenForo, 1 IPS, 1 Burning Board, 2 WordPress and 1 MyBB site on it.
The only time I had an issue was when a memory module was acting flaky and they caught it about the same time I did and were already in the process of replacing the module when I entered a trouble ticket.

Well, for EU location I'd recommend Hetzner. Which I've been using for the last 6 years and never had a big problem with them. I don't know If they have US locations tho.

Besides that, I'd recommend OVH too (because I've been using them too for quite some time without any problem) but it seems people have problems with them. IMHO, one more likely to have problems with any hosting provider since no-one is perfect. I'd say give it a shot If you regret, just try another one.

Since that thread is old, I wanted to reply from here to not bump it.

IMO, it's not appropriate to blame the whole company because of one personnel's mistake. I own a quite large forum with 20+ moderators and I've experienced similar troubles where one moderator used his permissions in a bad way to harm the forum. So I say these kinda things might happen all the time no matter which company. Even you see such things in movies tho. So consider this. You are blaming them because you've had this problem with them which I'm really sad for you. That's really something shouldn't happened. But it happened anyway. And for me, I've been using them for the last few years (and most of my friends using their services as well) and never had a single problem. Well it's still up to the person's himself to try out and experience.

Reactions: rdn
It's not the one personnel issue I have a problem with...it's how they handled the issue when I reported it. Remember this started from me reporting to them the funny activity that was going on with my account....locking me out of my server and thus locking me out of my content was their response to ME reporting to them a problem I discovered.

They not only locked me out of the system, but they banned my email from communicating with the entirety of the company and I had to go through the ordeal of getting my money back with my credit provider. Like I said I have a problem with them going code red on me and ignoring what their employee did to me.

So it would be inappropriate for me to not communicate that experience unless being selfish is an admirable trait nowadays.

In the past I used a server from OVH France for about 8 years.
Nothing to complain.

Now I have one from soyoustart Canada, which is another company of them, for 2 years.

Also nothing to say bad about it.

The only thing I did I replaced the OS from them with an own build.

Just to make sure there is no backdoor.

Do not trust OVH Canada, they have employees that are deceitful, lying and dirty criminals and they as a company will code red against you once you catch them even if they know you are right.
Outside of that I have no opinion for you.

Thanks I will keep this opinion but I also need to hear more opinion about their dedicated servers.
Because I have seen some guys gave them good feedback and reviews here
Code:
http://forumweb.hosting/13126-vultr-vs-ovh-vs-ramnode-vs-linode-vs-digitalocean.html
Thus that's why I asked this question and I want to have a dedicated server from them although their pricing is not cheap and higher than my budget a bit.

I have 3 Dedicated servers from OVH Canada and 4 Dedicated servers from OVH Europe.
All running fine without any issue.
Happy customer since 2013. (y)
Thank you for your comments.

Can I know what location is better for you? OVH Canada or OVH Europe?

And I've got a dedicated from them that I've had no issues with for about the last year. I run 1 XenForo, 1 IPS, 1 Burning Board, 2 WordPress and 1 MyBB site on it.
Does it load fast? can you share server specifications? as RAM, CPUs, ...etc

Well, for EU location I'd recommend Hetzner. Which I've been using for the last 6 years and never had a big problem with them. I don't know If they have US locations tho.

Besides that, I'd recommend OVH too (because I've been using them too for quite some time without any problem) but it seems people have problems with them. IMHO, one more likely to have problems with any hosting provider since no-one is perfect. I'd say give it a shot If you regret, just try another one.

Honestly I used Hetzner 2 years ago but it is really slow although it was a dedicated server 32GB of RAM. I used it for some weeks and had to move to a new host.

It's not the one personnel issue I have a problem with...it's how they handled the issue when I reported it. Remember this started from me reporting to them the funny activity that was going on with my account....locking me out of my server and thus locking me out of my content was their response to ME reporting to them a problem I discovered.

They not only locked me out of the system, but they banned my email from communicating with the entirety of the company and I had to go through the ordeal of getting my money back with my credit provider. Like I said I have a problem with them going code red on me and ignoring what their employee did to me.

So it would be inappropriate for me to not communicate that experience unless being selfish is an admirable trait nowadays.

Thanks for sharing this information.

In the past I used a server from OVH France for about 8 years.
Nothing to complain.

Now I have one from soyoustart Canada, which is another company of them, for 2 years.

Also nothing to say bad about it.

The only thing I did I replaced the OS from them with an own build.

Just to make sure there is no backdoor.

I checked soyoustart and it has lower prices if compared with OVH. SHould I go with this provider instead of choosing OVH?

What are your reviews about soyoustart?

Thanks you guys!

Does it load fast? can you share server specifications? as RAM, CPUs, ...etc
Well, almost anything loads XenForo fast, but IPS is a much heavier script.
You can compare the 3 different main scripts speed by going here (XF), here (IPS) or here (Burning Board).
It's the EG-32 that has 32GB RAM, 2 480GB SSD's in software RAID1 and the E5-1630v3 CPU.
Mine is out of Canada since most of my traffic is targeted towards the US for now.

Last edited:
Depends on your target audience.
Both are great (y).
I agree but it doesn't matter if we use a CDN?
Well, almost anything loads XenForo fast, but IPS is a much heavier script.
You can compare the 3 different main scripts speed by going here (XF), here (IPS) or here (Burning Board).
It's the EG-32 that has 32GB RAM, 2 480GB SSD's in software RAID1 and the E5-1630v3 CPU.
Mine is out of Canada since most of my traffic is targeted towards the US for now.
Good to know but they don't have many images.
One of my websites have many images on pages, I think it will have much different from your sites when putting on this server (EG-32).

I agree but it doesn't matter if we use a CDN?
Only for images and similar. Your actual content (the posts) still come from the main server.
Good to know but they don't have many images.
One of my websites have many images on pages, I think it will have much different from your sites when putting on this server (EG-32).
My old motorcycle site had numerous images... the content serving doesn't matter on "speed" on the amount of images you have on the site. That is dependent on your storage capacity and the bandwidth.
Serving images doesn't "slow" the site down as far as your server processing power. What does is the actual mySQL data (the posts, etc).

Only for images and similar. Your actual content (the posts) still come from the main server.
Are you sure about this?
I know it will get new content from server but when it appeared on the browser then it is cached by CDN, only new content will be updated.
That's why you can see a cached version if your hosting is down ( using a CDN as cloudflare is an example)

I use OVH for some of my items, but haven't called their tech support in nearly a year. Should get some cool swag like an iTunes or Amazon Gift Card for not bothering them :D

I use their backup storage as well, but also maintain redundant backup-storage points in the US.

Top Bottom