1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iranian scientist claims to have invented 'time machine'

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Luxus, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

Read more

Thoughts?

Ingenious likes this.
  2. zooki

zooki Active Member

Well, Iran (Persians) is not a nation to be scoffed at. They were ahead of the world in terms of science and learning for centuries.

Today, they have some good scientists, but there is also a huge propaganda machine spinning stories all the time. Seems like another one of those stories.

Yeah, if he gets kidnapped, disappears, dies suddenly.. He was telling the truth ;)

3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Good news.
    I'd love to hear they chose to travel forward in time to the 21st century.
    After having been stuck in the 19th century for a few hundred years.

Hoffi, Tracy Perry, DeltaHF and 2 others like this.
  4. oldzy

oldzy Active Member

:ROFLMAO:

5. zooki

zooki Active Member

Its only been kinda crappy since the late 70s. :whistle: Iraq too. . with the oil wealth, most people had high standards of living and the societies were quite liberal.

Robert F Schmitz and Adam Howard like this.
  6. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

Actually, I was reading something the other day about recent discoveries in physics and it is possible to go into the past or future or something like that.......

7. TNCclubman

TNCclubman Well-Known Member

ya, its called drugs.

smimosmile, SneakyDave and Neal like this.
  8. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

Scientists believe "time travel" may be possible by utilizing theoretical wormholes, and there is also the whole idea of faster-than-light travel. But none of these things work anything like the popular/Hollywood conception of time travel, which is impossible, no matter what any person wearing a white lab coat might want you to believe.

This is what? The millionth scientist claiming to have invented a real time machine? It's no different than all the fraud scientists and companies that claim to have really invented a perpetual motion machine.

SneakyDave likes this.
  9. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Shouldn't he use the time machine to prevent that? :whistle:

10. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

I prefer Hawking's theory that time travel to the past is impossible but that to the future is theoretically possible but impossible given our current technology(he used the near-speed-of-light theory for that.)

Fufu likes this.
  11. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

I love this comment at the end of the article, "The reason that we are not launching our prototype at this stage is that the Chinese will steal the idea and produce it in millions overnight."

Ingenious likes this.
  12. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

:ROFLMAO:

13. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I smell some high quality, top of the line bullsh-it here. I mean come on? wouldn't the Russians try to steal it first? :p that line is seriously an hilarious thing to say.

14. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

The reason they are not launching their prototype at this stage is either because:

a) it doesn't actually exist
    b) it's nothing but hype and a lot of talk

I suspect both, actually.

a legacy reborn and Shelley like this.
  15. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

100% agree. The last line in that article really does put that claim to bed, since that must be the most ridiculous thing to say if you really want to run with this outrageous claim for a while.

16. zooki

zooki Active Member

From one of the officially sanctioned Iranian news outlets:

Iran rejects claims about registration of ‘time machine’
    http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/04/12/297846/no-time-machine-registered-in-iran/
    Also, note that originally the guy had said he had software that analyzes statistical data to predict the future.

17. tenants

tenants Well-Known Member

Hell.. I can do that now,

For the next 5-8 years, this will be ~ 98% accurately true:

• Tomorrow, you will get out of bed
    • You will eat breakfast
    • You will drink
    • If you are employed, there is a a greater than 71 % chance that you will go to work
    • You will have a break and have lunch
    • You will continue to work
    • You will communicate with people
    • You will leave work
    • You will have dinner
    • You will entertain your self for the rest of the day
    • You will sleep at the end of the day
    • At some point during this year you will be paid for your work
    • At some point during this year you will pay taxes
    => Stick that in an algorithm, patent it as a time machine... I can predict with ~98% what you will do for the next 5-8 years

This has been around for a long while. Artificial Neural Networks have been trained to do this sort of thing for a long while, some very successfully

... You may have even paid for a trading forecaster , there are tones of them around, and they have been around for a while
    ... ANNs have also even been used to solve CAPTCHA (you can even find javascript ANNs)
    ... You can train them against Military simulators, to figure out the most likely outcomes
    I've even written my own in c++, sadly the only time travelling that came out of it was moving forward in time at the same pace as everyone else

I'm not sure what he has done that's new, apart from label it "time machine"... In which case, I've also created a time machine with my points above

There is not enough information in that article, just tabloid hype... which boasts lots with and eye catching title without saying anything in detail at all

18. tenants

tenants Well-Known Member

This guy's talking about time travel pardox's... this is similar to the ending of the cult movie "the time machine" ... He can't invent the time machine to save his lovers life, since if he did, he would never have invented the time machine to begin Schrodingers cat

It possible to slow observable time down, so that your perception of time is slower than someone elses. Although, you do need a very large mass (such as a black hole)

For instance, someone travelling around a black hole may measure that it took them 15 hours, but to an outsider measuring the time, it may have taken 30 hours (the observer has aged twice as fast). That is time travel, since there is a difference it time for the 2 subjects, sadly no DeLorean was necessary :(

You can always revisit the past... just by staring up into the nigth sky. Since light travels at a finite speed, the further you look, the longer ago it happend. So, by looking out at the cosmos, you are looking at things that happened billions of years ago

19. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

"The 27-year-old scientist, Ali Razeqi, said the time machine works based on a complex series of algorithms and is able to predict the future from the touch of a user with 98 percent accuracy." I wonder what they've used it to predict? I will push this button eventually? lol.

20. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

Yeah, must be total BS.

In other stories, some scientists claim to have invented a machine which can take sectional snapshots of your entire body - clear through! Still others claim they have been able to create "magic abacuses" which can switch things at many billions of times per second...and those jokesters now claim they can sell that thing for about $30, less than one dinner out! Imagine....

Fools....will believe anything! Next thing you know, they'll claim they can put people in aluminum tubes and send them through the sky at speeds 100X as fast as running.....
    ;)

(BTW, when railroads started, some people theorized that people would turn to mush at 50MPH).

Kim likes this.