IPB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich

I really need to convert My Board over from Invision to XenForo anyone have any ideas how to do this? I don't have VBull anymore I sold it so thats not an option.

Thanks
Rich

Without having vB or Impex I believe the only way currently is going through a service like xenfans offers.

This won't really help, but it might give you some ideas. Here is what I did, I didn't have vB anymore either, but I did have a friend that still ran it with his site. He let me use his test bed site to import my data over from IPB to his test bed, then from there to xF and then I dumped the database and moved it to my server.

It was a long drawn out process, and he lost his test bed, but it worked. Even though it was jumping through all kinds of hoops to get it done, I am glad I did.

Jamie

You can borrow mine :D
Im not sure how. lol

Without having vB or Impex I believe the only way currently is going through a service like xenfans offers.

This won't really help, but it might give you some ideas. Here is what I did, I didn't have vB anymore either, but I did have a friend that still ran it with his site. He let me use his test bed site to import my data over from IPB to his test bed, then from there to xF and then I dumped the database and moved it to my server.

It was a long drawn out process, and he lost his test bed, but it worked. Even though it was jumping through all kinds of hoops to get it done, I am glad I did.

Jamie

Its worth it. Im running it for my old VB site and love it

You know an easy way around all this would be for a talented coder to write an IPB > xF importer... :D

I know it's coming...

I just had to say it since IPB is a fairly large player in the forum community and you would think xF wants every new license they can get...

Jamie

Other importers are planned Jamie, it's just a matter of time.

I know... I was in part kidding and just messing and in part serious..

I know they are planned, but with IPB being the second largest paid forum solution (I think) I would have thought a developer would have come up with a converter. I am not singling out Kier or Mike as there are many talented developers on this site.

Again, I am not knocking how they do business, just giving my advice.. I know it's coming, but for me it's like Ford offering the Mustang with a 4 cylinder engine and telling everyone that a V8 is coming soon... There would be a lot of people that would buy xF if a proper importer was available.

For me, it's similar to what I would call failed marketing of IPB when vB 4.0 came out as 'Gold' and it wasn't.. I believe IPB could have and should have done a better job of appealing to those vB customers that were angry and disgruntle..

Hope you and others don't take this constructive criticism as bad...

Jamie

I have few unused vB licenses ... I'll email you Impex .. you use it to convert to vB 3 .... Convert from vB to xF .. you let me know it's done :) so I know the license is free for the next use :)
I guess when you dont like someone's software that software piracy is ok.

I guess when you dont like someone's software that software piracy is ok.

What piracy ? it's my software, I paid for it, current and not used on any server/domain .. I can use it anyway I want ;) .. lend it, or even give it away .. it's paid for

.. and I do like vbulletin for certain websites ... not even xF can do what vB can in certain websites

It's not yours. You don't own it. It's a license, which grants you permission to use an instance of it. And you're not allowed to resell, distribute, etc .. Oh well, it's all in the EULA.

The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicense, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft.

It's not yours. You don't own it. It's a license, which grants you permission to use an instance of it. And you're not allowed to resell, distribute, etc .. Oh well, it's all in the EULA.

I might not be able to sell it ... but I damn well can use it on any domain/database I see fit ... even for 2 minutes ;)

The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicense, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft.

Perhaps you should consider that when you charge for transfer to xF ;)

i don't use impex to convert ipb to xf.

And when I do use impex, it's my copy, not being shared with a third party, running on my site, where vb is installed and pointed to. The source/target doesn't matter, it's about the instance where it runs.

Trying to be a smartass towards me while you're simply offering in public to share your copyrighted files to others .. has nothing to do with me asking money for a service i provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom