IPB vs XenForo Comments and thoughts! (Please, read)

I do not see anything wrong with their conversations. xenForo is a new product, it is going to take time to mature, but less than most probably.

There are nothing to comment here, if you have a doubt about the Xenforo product, ask, but is useless to discuss opinions in a third part forums (if anyone want to discuss this, he can comment directly to the TAZ forum).

I think there are very valid concerns expressed in that thread. Indeed, the opponents of XF are correct when they say that it isn't for everyone. And that's fine. What's nice about XF, Launch.Forum, etc. is that they are providing us with different options we never had before. Overall, we're really going to start to see forum products all over improve exponentially.

I can only comment that I went from a very busy vb 3.8 forum, transferred it to IPB 3.1.2 forum with ip.content, blog, and gallery where my membership and posting was cut down by 60% for the year it was installed. I transferred to xf on the 11th of this month with literally no addons to speak of and my traffic, registrations, posts, visits, and pageviews have doubled since.

I don't care what the fanboys of IPB say, my members speak for the software they prefer. They give me their opinion with the amount of activity. I can't stress it enough.

I will repeat what someone said on TAZ :)

XF wins for me ... more modern ... more social ... proven track record ...

excited fan boys and fan girls cheering it on ... more interesting and useful addons all the time

much more fun to use ... give it 18-24 months and they will rule
smile.gif

I can only comment that I went from a very busy vb 3.8 forum, transferred it to IPB 3.1.2 forum with ip.content, blog, and gallery where my membership and posting was cut down by 60% for the year it was installed. I transferred to xf on the 11th of this month with literally no addons to speak of and my traffic, registrations, posts, visits, and pageviews have doubled since.

I don't care what the fanboys of IPB say, my members speak for the software they prefer. They give me their opinion with the amount of activity. I can't stress it enough.

This is the type of post that I find extremely useful, actual experiences in going from one product to another. I'm still dithering over whether to lump it with vB4, hop over to IPB or take a punt on XF. So, reading about people's experiences who have already done this is really good.

Glorify, how do you find moderating problem users on your forum? This is one thing that worries me about XF in its current form, not getting email notifications of new members, being able to search by IP, the type of forum I run does get hammered sometimes by people commercial misusing it and some banned members do like to hang around like a bad smell - can you keep on top of this with XF?

I don't deny from a user point of view XF is the best of the bunch. Just worried the novelty of this will wear off when I'm chasing problem accounts.

My site has been running for just under 3 years.

The post rate before switching to XenForo was around 1,000 per month.
After the switch it has increased to 3,500 per month.

The alerts system has a lot to do with this, as confirmed by my members.

Expect to find more account management tools in 1.1.

Will this include additional options for modderators?

With a large board like mine, we have several mods and several section mods, all mods are trusted to handle banning and multiple account hunting when needed, however there are things in the admin CP that simply mods do not need access to for any reason.

Unfortunately this lack of moderator "power" without making them admins is what is hampering my switchover to xf :(

As I always say, use the software that best fits your forum's needs.

Think XenForo's the best option for your forum? Then use it.
Think XenForo isn't the best option for your forum? Then use the software that you do think would be best for your forum.

It's really as simple as that.

As I always say, use the software that best fits your forum's needs.

Think XenForo's the best option for your forum? Then use it.
Think XenForo isn't the best option for your forum? Then use the software that you do think would be best for your forum.

It's really as simple as that.
But how can anyone be satisfied without having to make a gigantic ordeal over it!?

Don't take away their satisfaction!

This is the type of post that I find extremely useful, actual experiences in going from one product to another. I'm still dithering over whether to lump it with vB4, hop over to IPB or take a punt on XF. So, reading about people's experiences who have already done this is really good.

Glorify, how do you find moderating problem users on your forum? This is one thing that worries me about XF in its current form, not getting email notifications of new members, being able to search by IP, the type of forum I run does get hammered sometimes by people commercial misusing it and some banned members do like to hang around like a bad smell - can you keep on top of this with XF?

I don't deny from a user point of view XF is the best of the bunch. Just worried the novelty of this will wear off when I'm chasing problem accounts.
Thanks. On the moderation front, there have been pluses and minuses. It's easier to moderate and manage threads. Much easier and logical to my mods as far as how to do it.

As far as user moderation, I don't have a bunch of problem users this time of year, but - here are the positives with xf. The built in discouraged members (and the ability to add ip's to discouraged users), per user custom permissions, easily search where a user ip is from for my mods (geolocation), and the 1 click spam decimation has been great.

The drawbacks have been--no admin email on registration, no ability to search by new registrations or ip, and no ability to merge users.

I am glad to see 1.1 will add some things.

Thanks Glorify, this kind of feedback is very useful and somewhat hard to find. I know that admins who have never had email on registration wonder what the point of it is, but if overnight the same lowlife has registered multiple accounts with different emails but the same IP, you can see this in your email inbox, you don't have to spend time manually checking new users. Also, sometimes you may ask a customer to register, the email is a great way of telling you when that has happened.

Only this morning I've needed to search users/posts by IP again because of a potential problem, I don't think I could live without that, at least not if I want to stop spam (and by spam I mean commercial misuse by UK companies specific to my forum genre, not by dodgy overseas medication sellers).

Merge users is another useful one where someone has decided not to reset their password because they forgot it, but registered a new account and used it for some time to post. I don't use it often (once or twice a year) and probably won't miss it, but it's handy.

Is there a mod to do the email on registration or search users by IP? It's not a problem to me if something is missing from the main package but a mod is available to do the same. In vB I run miserable users and multiple login detector amongst other things.

Edited by messages and edit history are critical for me. Like many communities some of my moderators have come up through the ranks and although I trust them to moderate I don't trust anyone to moderate without leaving an audit trail.

I don't know in the great scheme of things how much more important good moderation tools are than the end user experience. I always think that you can have a super-duper forum but if you're not able to stop a minority spoiling things then it's going to end in tears. Hence I'm sticking with a fugly forum but a robust one, for the time being :)

Top Bottom