IPB of Xenforo

bart

I was going to go for ipb but now I stumbled on Xenforo again. With the lawsuit over it might come back to life.

IPB:
- many features
- many mods

Xenforo:
- faster
- sexier

The problem is, that I must chose the software that's going to be around and going to be maintained and going to be on top for the next ten years or so. The brain says I should go for ipb. they will be sexy when 4.0 comes out. But Xenforo is sexy now.

Any suggestions?

The problem is, that I must chose the software that's going to be around and going to be maintained and going to be on top for the next ten years or so. The brain says I should go for ipb. they will be sexy when 4.0 comes out. But Xenforo is sexy now.

Any suggestions?

XenForo will be maintained, More details on 1.2 and the RM are to come soon. The lawsuit is over and they have no reason not to continue development :)

Xenforo - Development is now continuing, the team will be working on adding more features, refinements etc so the future of xenforo is looking good. If I'm not mistaken there is currently a sale now on so your going to be purchasing an excellent product for $110 dollars. One of the staff might be able to confirm/dismiss that the sale is still currently active.

Obviously on the XF forum you will be bias comments here, and likewise on the IPB forum.

I guess it comes down to, what do you want from the forum? "Many features and mods with IPB"... how many of those will you use? How much is just fluff that just slows down the software and provides no real benefit?

Likewise, XF is blazingly fast, hopefully will always stay that way. With the lawsuit over, I imagine much more mods and features will start apearing on XenForo.

If your comparing IPB4 vs XF now... maybe wait to see what IPB4 brings in the flesh?

Both have their advantages and disadvantages as you've posted.

No one can make that decision but you. You should base your decision on what features/mods you "need" and what you don't need. Xenforo is a great option for most people as a paid solution.

If you are just starting out, then maybe go with a free solution like mybb. Then, once the community is growing to the point where you want to invest into it, you will identify which features/mods are important to your members and make a decision based on that.

I can tell you from experience in using IPB, vB and xF that xenForo is the best choice of the three for me. But, that is based on my opinion and my members and what they are looking for.

Yes IBP 4 sounds very nice and might become the sexiest thing around, well even VB 5 might turn out well some day in the future, but what is the best solution for you and your users right now?

If the forum you chose is not userfriendly or live up to your needs, it dosent matter how things might look in the future, becaurse users wont sign up or become active on your community to begin with.

I have learned (the hard way) that a userfriendly and engaging platform beats features and gimmicks anytime.

I'm running forum where 99.9% of visitors have absolutely no clue about computers, they are very happy. Interfaces of other forum software are very confusing for them, but not XenForo. It is very user friendly.

That's so true. I feel the same. In Xenforo your think of something to do and the button to do it is always nearby. Ik doesn't work that way in ipb.

But history teaches that you should buy software on what it can do right now. Not on what it will do in the future.

So that mean i should go for ipb. o_O

I migrated from IPB to XenForo. Best move ever!

Most of my users are not technical and developed a serious dislike for IPB, after I migrated from SMF2.

Only if IPB has a feature you really need, would I choose IPB.

EDIT: On second thought, I wouldn't go with IPB even if they had a feature I really needed. And neither should you. :p

With IPB keep editing your posts few times each time because editor in IPB which is heart of any software is cluster mess.

It takes more then 30 seconds to enable hook in IPB if you have more then 5-6 addons installed and couple of hooks. With Xenforo it's instant. I tried to install 30 add-ons for the hack of it on my test install and none had any issues.

IPB is good if you need downloads, blogs, Gallery (Horrible). It's all up to you. Use the demo of both software and decide based on your needs.

Yea. it's slow.
My fav site uses IPB and people are irate.
The site uses some super powerful crazy expensive server and they still have problems.

This thread is a bad duplicate of this one:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/honest-opinion-needed-ipb-vs-xenforo.36383/

Merge ?

Merging is not a good idea. There should be a few threads about this. It's too important.

I agree, don't merge. It doesn't matter if the same / similar questions get asked. That's what a forum is about, it makes the content easier to find anyway.

Bart I had the same dilemma and ended up buying both IPB and XF and did test imports into both. What sealed it for me were two things. One was that having used XF (here in this forum) and IPB over at theirs, I just found the whole XF experience faster and more modern, more slick and engaging, "it just works". IPB always felt a little slower, a little more cumbersome, less stylish. Second, the test import into IPB just didn't work and their support didn't fix it either, so it was kind of a no-brainer.

The truth is both platforms are very good and really the only person who can decide is you - what platform best fits your needs and what your community wants?

Now the court case is over I am highly unlikely to switch over to IPB, especially so if the team start actively developing XF again.

Bart I had the same dilemma and ended up buying both IPB and XF and did test imports into both. What sealed it for me were two things. One was that having used XF (here in this forum) and IPB over at theirs, I just found the whole XF experience faster and more modern, more slick and engaging, "it just works". IPB always felt a little slower, a little more cumbersome, less stylish. Second, the test import into IPB just didn't work and their support didn't fix it either, so it was kind of a no-brainer.

I also have both licenses. And a vb4-license also. Not because i have money to spare, but because it it so di8fficult to decide.

Your first 'thing' is exactly how it works for me. Couldn't have said it any better. I don't know about the second thing, and i hope xenforo-support is better (and there) when i need it.

I'm working on both installs now. ipb and xen.

But how do you chose for something that is not sexy when you have the sexy thing within reach. This shouldn't be difficult at all...

Top Bottom