IPB Converts - did you sell your IPB licenses? I've heard they don't allow transfer?

CTXMedia

I've looked on the IPS community forum and pretty much every IPS staff post says they don't recommend buying a second user license due to the high risk of fraud, but they never actually say they don't allow it.

Other things I've read say they do allow it but you have to sell your complete account, not just your licenses.

What's is your experience/understanding if you've converted to XF from IPBoard?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Hi Shaun,

They don't allow transfers, you have to sign over your whole account to the purchaser, including all your history/tickets etc. For me this is significant, with over 8 years of history, and a fair few tickets and conversations with management I would not want to share.

I haven't sold my IPB licenses yet, not sure if I will or not tbh, the prices they are achieving hardly makes it worthwhile.

my vB license will never be sold ever as a protest.. it will be a dead in the water license forever so they never get one more cent from it.

So not just your license, but your soul. Yikes.

Hi Shaun,

They don't allow transfers, you have to sign over your whole account to the purchaser, including all your history/tickets etc. For me this is significant, with over 8 years of history, and a fair few tickets and conversations with management I would not want to share.

I haven't sold my IPB licenses yet, not sure if I will or not tbh, the prices they are achieving hardly makes it worthwhile.

my vB license will never be sold ever as a protest.. it will be a dead in the water license forever so they never get one more cent from it.

I needed the money, so I got rid of a view. But since it's a bit of a hassle, it's not an effort I want to make and haven't sold the rest. Instead, I invite those interested in my license to (re)consider xenforo.

So not just your license, but your soul. Yikes.

Pretty much, yeah.

They were kind to me in the past and let me transfer licenses I no longer needed, but that was just as a special favour. They won't do that now for me or anyone else.

Nope. I've given them over to friends for indefinite loan. :whistle:

That and I still love IPB. I just like xenForo a bit more for my own projects.

I have two seperate IPB accounts. One with IP.Board, IP.Gallery, IP.Blog and IP.Content - The second account with IP.Board only.

I did have a brief look into selling them, but its easier to keep hold of them as spare licences. Ive just re-activated one of the licences for a new project I want to work on. For the sake of £15, its a lot nicer working with IPB, then having to use MyBB or phpBB3.

Thanks to OP for starting this thread. I now have made a decision NOT to purchase anything from IPB.

This is something I expect Internet Brands to be doing...

If I decide I want to buy IPB, and I regret it, there's no going back. It's like it's your license forever....unless you take the risk of selling your entire IPB license and expose your entire life to the person you sold it to. Your address, your phone number, your last name, the list goes on and on.

..unless you take the risk of selling your entire IPB license and expose your entire life to the person you sold it to. Your address, your phone number, your last name, the list goes on and on.
You do seem a little over dramatic with your posts.

You do seem a little over dramatic with your posts.

Understatement of the year. :P

I bought an IPB lifetime license once, second hand, but just couldn't get used to the software, so sold it again on Theadminzone, had no problems selling or buying it
But, I don't doubt there's a risk involved.

Yes I've bought and sold IPB licenses 2nd hand with no problems whatsoever.

Like the post above any online transaction includes a risk.

Yes but the person not being able to buy your old vB license will then likely buy a new license from vB which is even worse. That's why I decided to sell my old vB license for a low price. The person buying from me confirmed he would have bought new if it wasn't for my low price offer. So I'm happy since I got some of my money back and vB didn't sell a *new* license. Also vB doesn't get yearly fees anymore so my sell and license continuation did not make them any extra money.

I thought about this before and to me this is the best solution. By not selling you're losing money yourself and you're pushing potential vB customers to buy new vB licenses which is better for vB.

Think about it, what destroys the stock market? People selling their stocks (cheap). If the value of a vB license drops, vB sales will drop.

i also have a vbulletin license and an ipb license... i've tried to sell the ipb so i can get a xenforo license... but, at the last minute, i decided not to because i have to sign over my whole IPB account to the purchaser and i didn't feel confortable doing that...

right now, i'm stuck with vb 3.8 (can't upgrade to xenforo until i migrate the gallery into an independent/ standalone product ) and i have an ipb licence i don't use...

Maybe xenForo should have a plan so they can buy IPB licenses in exchange to a discount for a xenforo licence :whistle: ... i'll trust them anytime!

I've looked on the IPS community forum and pretty much every IPS staff post says they don't recommend buying a second user license due to the high risk of fraud, but they never actually say they don't allow it.

Other things I've read say they do allow it but you have to sell your complete account, not just your licenses.

What's is your experience/understanding if you've converted to XF from IPBoard?

Cheers,
Shaun :D
Ya, you have to sell the whole account for it to work. I just kept my account and converted :)

Top Bottom