IP-based discouragement only for guests possible?

Spenser

Is it possible to activate discouragement for a certain ip range, but not for registered users that use these addresses?

We have a user we want to discourage. This user always uses a certain address range. We also have users we don't want do discourage but use the same range.

ACP -> Users -> Discouraged IP Addresses

If you Discourage an IP range then everyone using that range will be affected.

Why don't you just discourage the user?
It won't make any difference which IP address they use then.

He is a DSL customer. The address changes at least every 24 hours and every time he reconnects. So this won't work.

My idea is, that user account settings override ip settings. So you can block a whole IP range without blocking normal users.

What happens when you want to IP discourage registered users?

How will the system know when to apply and not apply the discouragement to IP addresses?

He is a DSL customer. The address changes at least every 24 hours and every time he reconnects. So this won't work.

My idea is, that user account settings override ip settings. So you can block a whole IP range without blocking normal users.
Wouldn't this block legitimate users when they are logged out? How would they then log in?

Wouldn't this block legitimate users when they are logged out? How would they then log in?
Indeed.
But they will have a chance to log in (if the discouragement isn't set too naughty).

I don't see a way to discourage anonymous users that come from certain ip ranges without harming registered users from the same range if user specific settings don't override ip settings.

Indeed.
But they will have a chance to log in (if the discouragement isn't set too naughty).

I don't see a way to discourage anonymous users that come from certain ip ranges without harming registered users from the same range if user specific settings don't override ip settings.
that's because you can't. you could create an add-on to automatically discourage this user based on criteria.. but you'd need criteria that could always identify this user.

Your registered members would soon get tired if their IP address happened to fall within that range.
What if they just want to browse the site without logging in?

Top Bottom