XF 2.1 Invalid Links

darrenk

Hi All
Looking through Google Analytics I have noticed a large number of Oops! We ran into some problems.

Vast majority are pointing /install/index.php for instance 2 just as an example
/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/install/index.php
/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/install/index.php

Upon looking into this further I am also seeing references to what I believe is vBulletin before we moved across to XF some few years ago now.

/showthread.php?t=4428
/showthread.php?t=23692

Finally seeing attachments which don't exist
/attachments/ve-holden-commodore-2006/38474d1177310532-hidden-audio-amp-ves-gain.jpg

Was something missed during the import / conversion or is a manual fix required for this? the showthread I couldn't even begin to understand what that would be pointing at.

Cheers
Darren

Edit your robots.txt file or create one and upload it to the root of your website with these contents:
Code:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /whats-new/
Disallow: /account/
Disallow: /attachments/
Disallow: /goto/
Disallow: /install/
Disallow: /posts/
Disallow: /login/
Disallow: /members/
Disallow: /admin.php
Disallow: /tags/
Allow: /

These errors
Code:
/showthread.php?t=4428
/showthread.php?t=23692
are most likely URLs linked from a post which would not have been touched by the import (intentional). You can track those down via search and edit the posts.

Similarly, you can remove Disallow: /attachments/ from the robots.txt file and track tyhose down via search and edit the posts if it's only a small number of nonexistent attachments.

Did you set up Xenforo redirection when you imported your forum? If not you can still do that via the Xenforo addon. See https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/importing/ and get the addon at https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xenforo-redirects-for-vbulletin.6123/

Last edited:
Thanks for that, have updated the robots.txt file and left out attachments, will monitor it over the coming weeks.

Andy was ever so helpful and pointed me in the right direction of redirection for those showthread URLs which seems to have worked nicely.

The import was done many many years ago now, I can't recall what was done at the time - will play around with this in dev and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom