Introducing Now Serving Linux

TPerry

Well, considering how much I like Linux - and how many questions I see frequently about it's use - I decided to start a Linux forum up.

It's not restricted to any specific distribution (in fact, most of the major ones have a discussion area available) as well as some topic specific ones for linux (networking, applications, gaming, etc).

It's still a WIP, but if you care to check it out it's at http://servinglinux.com or http://nowservinglinux.com.

Using @Audentio's AntiQuark slightly (so far) modified style as the default with Quark offered as an optional (haven't done much with it yet).

Looks good - no Fedora?
Actually... there is... for some reason (and I figure it was because of me STILL wanting to call Fedora RedHat - yes, it's been that long since I used it) it was listed as... wait for it.... RedHat. :p

Good catch and it's fixed now.

Actually... there is... for some reason (and I figure it was because of me STILL wanting to call Fedora RedHat - yes, it's been that long since I used it) it was listed as... wait for it.... RedHat. :p

Good catch and it's fixed now.
Yeah, 10 years ago f1 was released as Fedora Core (I still have the CD :))
Been running latest Fedora as a server for a few years now - will be upgrading to f20 in a week or 2

Same here
Which browser and what display size? It's running the standard UIX Quark that hasn't been modified for that aspect.
Or are you referring to that stinking adsense display that I've been battling with for a bit. I think I'm just going to disable the top one totally. It only displays to guests.

EDIT:
Found it.. it was the adsense display (the one that only displays to visitors). Moved it from the block it was in to another and seems to respond correctly now.
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Yeah, 10 years ago f1 was released as Fedora Core (I still have the CD :))
Been running latest Fedora as a server for a few years now - will be upgrading to f20 in a week or 2
Jeez... it doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Time really flies the older you get.
I'm going to have to rescramble my servers/desktops in the home office and start installing some new stuff on it. Lately haven't really had time to do much.

Looks good, except the logo. Hate it. You should get one that looks more professional.

Also hate the colored new penguin icon. Again, should be more professional.

Looks good, except the logo. Hate it. You should get one that looks more professional.

Also hate the colored new penguin icon. Again, should be more professional.
As I said... it's a WIP. Most of that converted over from the myBB install.
Once I get a little more time (right now I got 3 jobs going on EOY installs of servers/cabling runs with 2 servers that have to be moved from a VMware box to actual physical servers one server that has to be moved from a Dell 700 series with a failing RAID card to a new Dell server)... and all which has to be done prior to Christmas week. I'm heading out to one of the sites in about an hour and will get back home around 3am - then have to be backup and at another location by 6am.
And all this for free.

Guess you aren't familiar with Tux huh?
Here is you some light reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux
If you were familiar with Linux then you would have immediately known what that "penguin" was. ;)

As I said... it's a WIP. Most of that converted over from the myBB install.
Once I get a little more time (right now I got 3 jobs going on EOY installs of servers/cabling runs with 2 servers that have to be moved from a VMware box to actual physical servers one server that has to be moved from a Dell 700 series with a failing RAID card to a new Dell server)... and all which has to be done prior to Christmas week. I'm heading out to one of the sites in about an hour and will get back home around 3am - then have to be backup and at another location by 6am.
And all this for free.

Guess you aren't familiar with Tux huh?
Here is you some light reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux
If you were familiar with Linux then you would have immediately known what that "penguin" was. ;)

I know the penguin is. I just don't like the "colored" penguin.

I know the penguin is. I just don't like the "colored" penguin.
Eventually each of the distro's will have their logo for the node icon. Just takes a little time (which I have very little of like I said) to get them done. Main problem was with myBB you were not able to easily define multiple node icons for read/unread and the style I was using was small icons as they were.

If you feel like donating your time to making individual distro icons then they would be more than welcome. ;)

I have an idea for the logo - just have to pull it all together. Something line a serving line (like in a cafeteria) with a bunch of Tux characters behind the line serving up the goodies.

Oh, meant to mention... I dont' "get" any of my logo's. I work on them in PhotoShop myself, taking some clipart from where I can find it for free and then adding to it. That may be why it doesn't "look professional" because I've never claimed to be a professional graphics person. :p
Learning PhotoChop is a WIP for me also. I'd LOVE to have @Shelley's ability - but I'll never get to that point because
  1. I'm artistically challenged
  2. I can't even match my dress socks 1/2 the time :LOL:
My forte is in the back end of the stuff (servers, etc). If I was charging money for any of my sites (and I don't - and currently my expenditures average $480 a month) then I'd be more concerned. My main concern is good content - without which you can have the prettiest site around and no users.

No gravatar option! :(

Also there is a problem with the moods mod pushing the avatar out the block

9x5BPQY.jpg

Also the Linux icon is blurry, maybe get a better one?

hBQjG2v.jpg

No gravatar option! :(

Also there is a problem with the moods mod pushing the avatar out the block

Not really... that's the way the style is designed.... to push it partially out of the block.

From my site without xenMoods enabled using the unmodified style:
screenshot1.webp

From my site using a modified version of it and using xenMoods (as you can see, I also increased the avatar size):

screenshot3.webp

From @Audentio's demo site of it:

screenshot2.webp

Also the Linux icon is blurry, maybe get a better one?

hBQjG2v.jpg

Known quirk with using @Shelley's modification to the Notifications add-on from @Chris Deeming. Will probably make that one so it is avatar free.

Not really... that's the way the style is designed.... to push it partially out of the block.

From my site without xenMoods enabled using the unmodified style:
View attachment 63093

From my site using a modified version of it and using xenMoods (as you can see, I also increased the avatar size):

View attachment 63096

From @Audentio's demo site of it:

View attachment 63094

OH looks broken imo sorry.
You also need to turn gravatar on :P it's good for people who change there avatar alot like me lol

OH looks broken imo sorry.
You also need to turn gravatar on :p it's good for people who change there avatar alot like me lol
Problem with Gravatar is -- it's Gravatar. :)
To often it is down and then the server error logs start filling up - and on other times it doesn't refresh like it should. I originally had it enabled on my sites but just turned it totally off since I would prefer the use of one of the 200+ Tux avatars I have available (on this one specifically).

Top Bottom