Interview with Kier

I didn't realise these developers were well-known. I like the software though.
I found this place when researching WordPress to vBulletin importers, and came across Jeremy's work on that system, then found Floris' twitter account, and he'd mentioned xenforo, and I followed the link.

Great interview as always Howard.
I will certainly make the time to read the ones made a few years ago.

Great to see I have something in common with the dev's too:
Kier said:
Both Mike and I use Eclipse PDT as our IDE
Now if only I can work out how to use it :D

From the old interview:
The vBulletin community are for the most part a very friendly bunch and all the vBulletin staff receive a fair bit of adulation from the hard-core fans though it's always important to remember that the online world is very fickle and the moment that we stop providing superior support, excellent customer relations and an innovative product the market is ever-ready to move to someone who will.
Visionary;)

tsk.gif
Yep, that's the one.

That was an excellent interview. And I was able to pull from it a great quote that I plan to show all my project managers:

"I believe that the moment the developers are removed from the decision-making process for the direction of a software product, quality and productivity will suffer. There are few worse things for a software engineer than being forced to work on a feature or system that you know is ill-conceived and accumulates technical debt, which will inevitably come back to bite you in the end. If the managers responsible for the programmers fail to consult them - at the feature concept stage, not at the implementation stage, the product is doomed to an ignominious end when its momentum eventually stalls."

So true, Kier.

That was an excellent interview. And I was able to pull from it a great quote that I plan to show all my project managers:

"I believe that the moment the developers are removed from the decision-making process for the direction of a software product, quality and productivity will suffer. There are few worse things for a software engineer than being forced to work on a feature or system that you know is ill-conceived and accumulates technical debt, which will inevitably come back to bite you in the end. If the managers responsible for the programmers fail to consult them - at the feature concept stage, not at the implementation stage, the product is doomed to an ignominious end when its momentum eventually stalls."

So true, Kier.

Do you think there are certain people who wish they had heeded Kier's words a couple of years ago?

Top Bottom