Not a bug Internet Explorer 11 - You are using an out of date browser

Wutime

Affected version
XF 2.2
From what I've read, Internet Explorer 11 (released in 2013), should be compatible with Xenforo.

If yes, why does Internet Explorer 11 trigger the following error message to users: "You are using an out of date browser."

1627272155885.png

I noticed because Google Analytics is showing a 98% bounce rate for users using IE 11. I suspect this is a result of the message telling them to upgrade their browser, which likely scares off novice users.

Confirmed I get the same message when visiting: https://xenforo.com/community/

Thanks

Per https://xenforo.com/community/threads/whats-new-for-developers-in-xf-2-2.181852/post-1436463:

While we have not entirely dropped support for IE11, it has now been formally deprecated and visitors using it will receive a banner recommending they upgrade to a more recent browser. We will be dropping support for IE11 in a future release.

In general, IE11 should still work okay in XF 2.2, but it is an out of date browser and support for it will fall out of scope in future versions.

In general, IE11 should still work okay in XF 2.2, but it is an out of date browser and support for it will fall out of scope in future versions.
As an FYI, but as of XF2.2.7 IE11 support is completely broken.

It looks like an updated javascript language feature was added which causes core.js to fail to be parsed.

It looks like an updated javascript language feature was added which causes core.js to fail to be parsed.
This sounds like what's going on with some older mobile browsers too. 5 year old ones and up.

Thanks. That's likely what we've seen elsewhere. But we didn't find a browser where we could reproduce it to debug it.

Fixed for 2.2.8.

Also, FWIW, we're very much taking a "hard luck" approach to IE11 and older browsers generally in XF 2.3. For IE11 particularly it's time to move on now it has been superseded - twice! - by more superior browsers.

Also, FWIW, we're very much taking a "hard luck" approach to IE11 and older browsers generally in XF 2.3. For IE11 particularly it's time to move on now it has been superseded - twice! - by more superior browsers.
May not be the time or place to bring this up but, disenfranchising poor people and people from developing countries who can't afford the latest greatest stuff seems a tad severe. While sites like FB and Twitter continue to support the older stuff, and other message board platforms do as well. Surely there's a compromise?

I certainly understand dropping IE11, just like we all did 6, but mobile browsers too? This is what the folks I mentioned before are going to be using, not IE11 necessarily.

Five years isn't a long time for underprivileged people to keep the same mobile device.

@Chris D any chance for users with (very) old browsers to disable most javascript? This should preserve compatibility for most things and still leave the site mostly functional for them

I certainly understand dropping IE11, just like we all did 6, but mobile browsers too? This is what the folks I mentioned before are going to be using, not IE11 necessarily.
Even 5 year old mobile devices will have incredibly easy access to a browser that is more modern. Ancient default browsers, I’m sorry, but there’s no rationale for it when alternative browsers are available just an app store download away.

@Chris D any chance for users with (very) old browsers to disable most javascript? This should preserve compatibility for most things and still leave the site mostly functional for them
It will be as graceful as possible in terms of fallbacks. It shouldn’t be anything as show stopping as this issue was.

CSS features may be more significant in some cases but hopefully still not impactful.

I don’t get the mentality of users insisting on staying with really old browsers, regardless of brand. New versions are readily available and free, so what gives? Therefore, I also think it’s fine to shut them out with an error message. Hard luck indeed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom