Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be too much like splitting hairs. But I’m concerned that everyone should be reassured. and Michael’s post may easily cause unnecessary anxiety.

Posted on the VB forum (Peggy said she couldn't acces it)
There is NO court case against XF.

Why? Because you think there isn't one?

That’s an opening statement, advising the reader what the rest sets out to demonstrate.
It’s a standard professional author style.

1. The whole thing has to be assessed under UK law. etc

And what happens if they signed an employment agreement stating that all disputes shall be governed under US law?

It wouldn’t be valid.
You cannot sign away your rights under UK law even if you wish to.
Whatever gave them the greater rights, their contract, or UK law, would apply.

If they spent some significant time in LA under USA contract it would be possible for their status to come under USA law if they agreed to it. But they’d have to become US residents, or be on an explicit c ontract to work in the USA under American law for a set period.
But they are known to have been UK residents all through.

2. Under UK law the skills and information in an employee's head belongs to them, after they leave the employ of a company.
Who says that this is what the lawsuit is about? This is also not true if the information in their head is copyrighted. Just because someone may have a photographic memory doesn't mean they own the rights to the book they sold.

There is no court case to be about anything yet, nor likely to be. But if there were it would be whether ex employees used code they developed while employed by their old company.
So the issue is whether they used work prepared on paid time by the old employer, OR during a year’s contracted no competition period.

A non-competition contract can only cover a "reasonable period" which is normally taken as one year.
… "normally" is not an exact number.

No of course not./ It’s a recognised item of legal language, similar to “reasonably.”
It typically rests on either precedent – unlike our USA cousins our law rests a lot of previous cases; or it rests on “what a reasonable person would think is reasonable.” In thisw case there’s lots of precedent for using information and skills after4 leaving employment. the standard understanding is one year.
Employers do try to enforce longer but this is not legally supported.

3. Xenforo website did not go live for slightly more than one year after their developers left IB (jelsoft/ Vbulletin).
What if the work commenced before the one year period?

The onus of proof would be on the plaintiff IB/ VB.
The embargo relates to the SALE of a product not to playing around with code at home.
Anyone can play with code. It’s only if they try to sell it that legal limits come in. (which don’t apply here because they are out of the one year period.)

4. A UK court case cannot have been "filed" as IB has claimed.
How long has it been since IB actually filed case and, in the UK, do such filings appear instantly?

It could take a few days to appear online. But anyone could check the records at the local Court to XF’s registered address. The fact that no one has come up with any case reference speaks for itself.
Also if there was a saerious filing it would include an injunction to stop the sale. An injunction can be had within hours if necessary. The website here would shut down.

I don't know the process but filing is setting the wheels in motion. The fact that you aren't yet at stage 4 isn't relevant.

First you apply to the Court. That’s just a form filling and means absolutely nothing.
If you have a strong case, as vetted by a reputable law firm, you can optionally get an injunction.
That suspends the defendant from operating – but you have to show really really strong evidence of harm if the injunction is not granted.
Then your case is assessed and you are granted the right to actually file the case. Or not.
After that it can be up to 3 years before the case is heard.

What content?

Some articles about sciences, lifestyle etc. Unfortunately, my contract prevents me from saying anything specific. Although, I do get paid $10 per article. I produce a minimum of 3 per week. It keeps them happy, me happy, and biology teacher happy.

Has this thread not served it's purpose? There's only so much that can be said along the lines of "Oh god what did IB do now?" and "We love XenForo"
Naw we're going to leave it open for now. People need to vent, and I'm polishing my mod skills. :D

Not
That's not how you came across to your friends on IRC the last year or so.

I understand (after reading your other post explaining why you said it) that you want to see some info by this company first, prior to putting the wallet down. But regardless of the sale, trying to take out competition this way is unfair business, it's an open market. The evening before it goes on sale? Really? .. how do YOUUUUU not see that as a douchy action; While I understand what you're trying to explain, I have to agree with your irc-buddies and say that it's not a response we expected from you. But, it's your opinion on the matter, your feedback.

Not sure what you mean about how I came across on IRC; my opinions on the XenForo, as a software, hasn't changed. I still think it is an incredible and exciting new product; however, to say that this law suit doesn't change things is, in my opinion, extremely naive or completely ignorant to the fact that IB has more financial resources than XenForo does.

As for the timing of the IB's announcement, it was a smart business move by a company that is forced too see its former creative engine releasing a competing software. The matter of ethics behind it is not my concern and isn't new; dominant companies across industries always try first to own the creative minds of the field and if that fails, to stifle them.

I very much hope XenForo comes out on top, but I am worried is all. :)

It could take a few days to appear online. But anyone could check the records at the local Court to XF’s registered address. The fact that no one has come up with any case reference speaks for itself.
Also if there was a saerious filing it would include an injunction to stop the sale. An injunction can be had within hours if necessary. The website here would shut down.

No, I'm afraid it doesn't... A reference number for the claim won't be issued by the courts until the paperwork is processed (IB's post implies that was only done yesterday... so not a chance in hell). It also wouldn't normally be listed on the website until, at the earliest, a hearing date is fixed. Finally, you'd only get a judgement and case citation after a hearing.

If they had applied and won an injunction, I'm sure IB would have told us about it. It would also likely take some time to be reported. Had IB applied for an interim injunction, given the test and rules, it would have likely only stopped the sale (which is what would have caused IB any damage) rather than shut the website down.

I love the fact that the xF guys took time out to go and play badminton last night, when all this was happening - a proper response imho.

Reminded me of the famous story of Sir Francis Drake: It is rumoured that at hearing that the Spanish were sailing towards the English Channel, Drake was consumed in a game of Bowls, and replied, ‘There’s time to finish the game, and beat the Spaniards too!” - which he subsequently did!
Hey you never know... what if XenForo already knew about this yesterday and went to play badminton anyway?
A defiant gesture in a somewhat "FU Internet Brands, you dont scare us" kind of way.

No, I'm afraid it doesn't... A reference number for the claim won't be issued by the courts until the paperwork is processed (IB's post implies that was only done yesterday... so not a chance in hell). It also wouldn't normally be listed on the website until, at the earliest, a hearing date is fixed. Finally, you'd only get a judgement and case citation after a hearing.

If they had applied and won an injunction, I'm sure IB would have told us about it. It would also likely take some time to be reported. Had IB applied for an interim injunction, given the test and rules, it would have likely only stopped the sale (which is what would have caused IB any damage) rather than shut the website down.

Given that their rather distasteful outburst was public, what are XF's rights under the 90-day compliancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom