Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will go to bed now, this endless discussion sucks. We will see what will happen. I am purchasing my license tomorrow. Good night. :D

That's silly. From a philosophical standpoint, sure this [seems like] is an unsavory move. I [think that I] don't like it [assuming, of course, that this truly is not merited], and have qualms supporting a company who plays this game.

I [think] that your post is [definitely] loaded [with crap].

Logistically, yeah right. Last year's horrible releases had a way worse effect than this will have on IB. Frankly, the only people rioting are here already (as a whole). People pay for a product. They expect the product to be good. It's that simple. I would imagine that you've purchased products by companies such as Microsoft. They play these same games. How many people cared when they got SCO to sue Linux? How many people whined about Vista?

There's a very specific reason why they got somebody else to do the suing.

And, no, I don't buy Microsoft products. The company's plenty rich.

Also, not everyone has an unlimited supply of money. Not everyone's community can just be switched over to a new product with the snap of a finger. While I see the upside of stopping development of mods, it's naïve to make a blanket statement that those who use vB don't deserve mods.

PhpBB, SMF, and MyBB are just a few of the many products that surpass vB in a number of ways. Take your pick. They're free of charge and presumably developed by people who aren't scumbags.

I don't know if Paul works on payroll for vborg, or vbcom. Didn't they list him in the staff list as support guy? Not important. Paul can still dislike xenforo or like ib/vb - and we're free to (dis)like him just as much.
Well lets clear that one up as well. I am not paid a single penny by IB, I have no contracts of any kind with them, nor for that matter have I ever said I dislike XF or agree with everything IB does. I am not however going to say nothing when people take actions that will have almost zero effect on IB, but will harm a lot of forum administrators. Hating IB is one thing, taking that hate out on the wrong people is something else entirely.

For some reason, when Clubber says "IB" it sounds like "Balboa". :confused:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well lets clear that one up as well. I am not paid a single penny by IB, I have no contracts of any kind with them, nor for that matter have I ever said I dislike XF or agree with everything IB does. I am not however going to say nothing when people take actions that will have almost zero effect on IB, but will harm a lot of forum administrators. Hating IB is one thing, taking that hate out on the wrong people is something else entirely.
And how should we in your opinion demonstrate that we don't support the decisions from Internet Brands? They don't listen to us.

Right, I'm going to write some code...

Code:
<?php

echo(2 + 2);

?>
(No, I am not trying to exploit your browser!)
Right, this is my intellectual property now. It's mine. I copyrighted it....and if you attempt to calculate 2 + 2 by using this or any similar method in PHP, Java, or any such language, I shall take you to court and sue you to hell!

That's basically what it is. There are some things you can't justify copyrighting or patenting, because it's either common-sense, or it's a standard that cannot really be avoided. Apple suing Google & HTC over multi-touch capabilities is another comparable argument - one I won't go into right now.

Right, say Ford made a car.... and then Audi made one. Is Ford suddenly going to sue them because they built a contraption with four wheels on? If they could, they would, but of course, basic sanity would tell you such a case is impossible. Unless it can be proved that Kier and co. did a copy-and-paste "jobbie" while developing XenForo (which I seriously, seriously doubt), IB can't really hold anything against them.

I'm just re-enforcing the same point several times over here, aren't I?

Always great to hear it directly from the person, avoids assumptions!

It's just, that you appear to be listed for business & support Paul M.; I guess you're on a volunteer basis, or they mis-informed the public

I [think] that your post is [definitely] loaded [with crap].

Thanks for your constructive criticism.
There's a very specific reason why they got somebody else to do the suing.

And, no, I don't buy Microsoft products. The company's plenty rich.

Microsoft gets plenty of bad press as a company. I stand by what I said- logistically, people don't care about whether a company is nice or not. They care whether or not the product is a good one. And for the record, good for you for avoiding MS products (unless you were just implying that you pirate them).

PhpBB, SMF, and MyBB are just a few of the many products that surpass vB in a number of ways. Take your pick. They're free of charge and presumably developed by people who aren't scumbags.

I don't know about other people, but I don't drop a forum software in two seconds. It takes time to research a new platform, make an informed decision, and then convert the forum over. I don't think any of the aforementioned solutions would be good for me.

If I can play devil's advocate for a moment, I think I can see Paul's take on this. That in the immediate future the only people who will suffer if mods are taken down, is the forum admins. That much is indisputable, in my opinion.

It's a tricky one to call because I can *totally* see why people such as Shelly want to do that, and in principle I support their stance, but it has to be said Paul does have a point.

Paul doesn't need me to defend him, but he won't be bothered one iota by some of the insults hurled his way. Just as I'm not when it's done to me. He speaks his mind, so do I, I wouldn't want that changed for either party.

PLEASE stop the IB/Paul/et al insults or we will have to close this thread.

Last warning.
That's like me closing threads because my members say Camaros suck. Everyone knows Internet Brands sucks. They suck bad. They are a ****ty company with ****ty tactics that don't give a **** about the forums they buy, just the money in the end.

Now, insulting members is another thing.

i doubt the suggestion would harm any admin
beside, supporting IB's software with plugins is an indirect support for IB,
I know you cant see how ugly IB is
dont know how cant you see

Will XenForo be releasing a statement soon?
It's midnight in 30 minutes-ish in the UK, I think they're going to bed when they're done with whatever they're doing - like badminton as Kier posted earlier. And if anything, tomorrow earliest. We will see what happens, when it happens I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom