Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, enough hitting on Paul now.
Thank you, but no need to worry. Ive never let peoples insulting ways stop me from putting my views.

Paul's a decent enough chap and is usually the voice of reason, I'm at a loss as to why he's "gone in to bat" for Internet Brands all of a sudden.

It's certainly not out of any compulsion, he's been happy to speak against them in the past. He's also affirmed vbulletin.org's semi-independence from Internet Brands.

I can only assume it's just his personal opinion. It's not one many will share but - hey - we're all entitled to them.
Well there is part of the trouble, people dont actually read things, they just see what they want and "assume".

I have not "gone into bat for IB", I have made no posts defending their action.

I will go into bat to defend vb.org if necessary, why would anyone expect otherwise ?

If I can play devil's advocate for a moment, I think I can see Paul's take on this. That in the immediate future the only people who will suffer if mods are taken down, is the forum admins. That much is indisputable, in my opinion.

Actually I don't believe that to be correct Mark, I wish I had a $ for every potential customer at IPB that banged on about how big and great the vB resource community was... believe me removing those resources, that community, removes the only perceived competative edge vB has over IPB.

Yes forum admins will be hurt by this move, however failure to remove their resources puts many resource providers in the position of being de facto complicit in this action. I would as I said be pulling any resources I had provided if I was in the position many now find themselves in.

Really glad XenForo are going ahead with this.

I think the post hints they might be a few hours later, but, so be it. It seems that IB have done nothing but drive additional traffic and sales to XF :)

I actually think this is all very sad. :( Sad to witness the apparent meltdown of a (once) fantastic product and related community (VB).
People leaving sites after years of dedicated service, resources deleted, support stopped, members abused, accounts deleted. Sure, VB will continue in some form, regardless of the outcome of this litigation but the long term damage to the legacy community of VB and the fledgling but growing community here will be long remembered.

This issue is between xenForo Ltd and Internet Brands. No amount of speculation at this stage will prove who said what or which piece of paper was signed by whom. We have all shown how passionate we are here and many have well and truly nailed their colors to the mast (my avatar for instance) but let's not forget, we are all intelligent people, dedicated and hard working and we should all try to get along as best as we can, given the circumstances. Sure, we all have a side to portray and a team to support but reasoned discussion beats out of control rants any day.

Let's not hate guys - let's keep xF clean and tidy and prepare for a great future together :)

Thank you, but no need to worry. Ive never let peoples insulting ways stop me from putting my views.

Well there is part of the trouble, people dont actually read things, they just see what they want and "assume".

I have not "gone into bat for IB", I have made no posts defending their action.

I will go into bat to defend vb.org if necessary, why would anyone expect otherwise ?

I understand your position - you dont feel its right that people using vB should suffer because something its owners have done. I completely agree with you from that point of view.

At the same time, I'm sure you can appreciate that mod developers who have spent their (unpaid) spare time working on a product they love no longer wish to support the product that is making money for IB under the circumstances. You may not agree with it, but thats how they feel and its their right as the owners of those mods to do as they wish.

It has nothing to do with court proceedings but everything to do with being civil.

Would you permit our pointing out what a terribly awful, horrible company Internet Brands is, provided we remain "civil" while doing it?

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Nobody's getting harmed, members are expressing themselves. You should not discourage that.

Ooo...that means XF knew about this last week, and have likely already worked out that they are not in the wrong!
That's just your poor assumption. I think ANY company would say unforeseen circumstances, and that when they were posting that it meant "super serious security exploit that drops the database or worse, and is very complex and time consuming to fix"... or things like that.

It is currently 39 minutes past midnight, so minus 1 hour, is gmt. (ignoring summer time or not). And that is 11:39.

So in bout 20 minutes when its midnight in the UK, it is 5th of October, and regardless of delays, regardless of court nonsense, I think they have done a F* amazing job with xenforo, and supporting that by raising my glass and having a beer and shot of whisky - congrats Kier/Mike and Ashley.

That's just your poor assumption. I think ANY company would say unforeseen circumstances, and that when they were posting that it meant "super serious security exploit that drops the database or worse, and is very complex and time consuming to fix"... or things like that.

True - it does however seem that the post just made was intended to partially reference the last post by saying "the spectre of unforseen circumstances has raised its ugly head". Obviously I could be completely wrong - but it was the first thought that popped into my head! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom