Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think something like that HAD to happen. The ice, IB is standing on, has been melting for some months now. I guess we'll see them falling into the cold water - hopefully...

Just a thought…

From the IB statement is sounds like they are going after the guys on an individual basis and maybe the actual company too.

If they are suing the guys as private individuals over, for example, matters concerning their former contracts of employment and if they have legal expenses insurance under their household insurance polices, which is fairly common nowadays, they may find that will cover their defence and even a possible counter-claim.

Such cover normally cover issues concerning employment matters, but not business matters, so it would depend on the actual claim and terms of the insurance, but it’s certainly worth them checking it out.

I sold a business some years, which included in the contract an employed position for me, they than made my life in respect of that position impossible, so I walked out and sued for unfair dismissal. They counter-sued me for twice the amount for breach of contract. All my legal costs were covered under the legal expenses section of my household policy, which made life a lot easier in dealing with a big bully (part of the Daily Mail group).

I won 100% of what I had claimed, but it was still a very stressful few months, with them only giving up a day or two before the actual court date.

IB deserve it ?

How on earth will not updating modifications have any effect on IB, they dont use them, or make anything from them.

The ONLY people it will affect is the forum administrators who use them.
It won't have a direct on IB or this case but in due time it will. The once valid statement that vBulletin has an active modding community which has been often used in deciding which way to go won't be so valid anymore.

IB deserve it ?

How on earth will not updating modifications have any effect on IB, they dont use them, or make anything from them.

I (and others) already said in this thread, that if coders and designers move to other forum software platforms, customers of vB will start to see the grass is getting greener elsewhere and start leaving. vB was the best platform for a big part because it had the best community. Without a strong community, a platform is nothing and will die.

This joke of internet brands is to low... I originally planned not to buy XenForo due to the way IP.Board was going however this goes to far. I'm defenitly planning on purchasing two licenses instead of 0 now. Which(It is great software though, However they absolutely need some additional support now)

It won't have a direct on IB or this case but in due time it will. The once valid statement that vBulletin has an active modding community which has been often used in deciding which way to go won't be so valid anymore.
The community is the reason why I chose VB instead of UBB... and I was a longtime UBBHackers community member... and I have a college degree specialized in programming for PERL.

IB deserve it ?

Oh Paul come on, I really can't believe your grasp of the forum software market is THAT slender.

Indirectly affecting IB.

Any such effect is guesswork and very long term, hurting your fellow admins is far more instant.

IB deserve it ?

You can delete my account from vbulletin.org paul, appreciated. If prune isn't possible, a ban will do just fine.
I've removed my content where it allowed me. And discontinued the vbfans > wtn.products section.
Even if I wouldn't buy XenForo, this action by IB is enough for me to feel discouraged to care for vB or the community, anymore.

You can delete my account from vbulletin.org paul, appreciated. If prune isn't possible, a ban will do just fine.
We dont delete accounts as Im sure you are aware. I have no reason to ban you. Whether you continue to use it is of course, your choice.

IB deserve it ?

It will harm IB as some/many people will follow and switch to a different software. No direct harm though, but it will hurt...

IB deserve it ?

Internetbrands may not use the resources directly paul but they certainly benefit from them by having a vast resource centre. You take that away and most people wouldn't look at vbulletin flagship product as a solution. Many people purchase a license on the sole reason that the community backing the modification/enhancements free market. Again, take that away and your hurting the company. :)

Is it really that far of a fetch to think some of the vBulletin code also appears in xenForo? Same developers, lots of similar features. I haven't seen the code, though I'd imagine some of you have so I dunno. Apparently Internet Brands thought there were enough similarity to file suit so they have a few goals in mind.

1. To prevent the presale. This would stop xenForo from getting in to the wild immensely fast and allow vBulletin to release 4.1 which they are counting on raising their sinking ship

2. Bankrupt Mike, Kier and Ashley before they even get started. Completely destroying the development of xenForo where it stands.

3. Like it or not, if IB feels they're being infringed upon, they must protect their assets to keep them. If they allow xenForo to launch knowning using their code/tactics, there wouldn't be anything to stop them from future use.

Lets not forget IB is saying Mike, Kier and Ashley, all signed contracts (Non-compete perhaps?) So this should be easy to prove/disprove.

Lastly, anyone who didn't see this suit coming, is short sighted, arrogant fool.

We dont delete accounts as Im sure you are aware. I have no reason to ban you. Whether you continue to use it is of course, your choice.
I believe that under the data protection act, if requested, you cannot deny an account deletion request?

Sorry but we wont perform any actions on vbulletin.org unless you make that request from your account on the site, for obvious verification reasons.

IB deserve it ?

If the modification community completely collapses, then vBulletin becomes useless. Only forum admins who want to run it stock, or have deep pockets to pay for custom web development will use it. I'm surprised the operator of vB.org doesn't know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom