Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
3) Typical American thing to sue just to try, even though you know your chances are probably small. The only problem of course is that they have a lot of money and XF does not (yet).

It's not just to try at all. It's because sometimes suing isn't about the money, it's about hurting your opponent. If I took you to court right now, regardless of winning or not, it would give you a bad day.

Unfortunately, I expected this action from IB. If it is for sale, I will still purchase a license tomorrow. I wish I could afford to buy two.

Jeff

what made me wonder more is how can they claim copyright breach when they dont even have the xenforo files to examine

Thats what they want to do. And if XF agrees, that also creates a perception they "accept" claims partially. I have not seen apple, android or anyone stopping sale because of patent litigations, so XF should also should not

sure, but i think that they should postpone the release .... as stated ...

We have requested that Kier, Mike and Ashley refrain from selling the software while the issues, inclusive of our infringement claims, are heard in the courts. We intend to pursue our rights broadly and vigorously.

It's not just to try at all. It's because sometimes suing isn't about the money, it's about hurting your opponent. If I took you to court right now, regardless of winning or not, it would give you a bad day.
True. But if they lose, they have just given their opponent lots of free publicity. So the main thing is still trying to win ;)

It's a shame IB feels so threatened by XenForo but it speaks volumes about their management.
This does not change my mind about buying XenForo software tomorrow or when ever it's released.

Wish I hadn't bought vb4 now, when it runs out I will not be renewing, vbulletin is not the same now, their support is **** now....

I'm hoping to here an official announcement soon from the developers regarding this and what will happen on October 5.

This is clearly designed to hurt the sale starting tomorrow and I doubt its for any other reason. I cant imagine them seeing the code and it just smells of desperate tactics on the basis that because these guys coded vB they might have used "similar" techniques to code Xenforo. As some have already said on Twitter, you cannot copyright someones coding style and if this does in fact go to court I cant see it getting very far. The IB management know how dis-satisifed people are since they took over. It wouldnt surprise me if this creates even more dis-satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom