Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe IB is looking for a court to let them view the xenforo code so they can improve vB.
yeah that is what i'm thinking as well

i wish kier and mike could create a whole new programming language fork of PHP like code, so they screw with any forum software competitors... 'here's the code ... confused looks on everyone's faces as they have no idea what programming language it is' LOL

I wonder if they knew. It was just few weeks, where they were getting customer confidence back after recent good things they were doing and they screwed up, especially because of timing. If they had done this immediately after coming to know about XF, one could have understood, but launching this attack day before XF goes on sale, itself shows their ill intentions.

Phil said:
The IB management know how dis-satisifed people are since they took over. It wouldnt surprise me if this creates even more dis-satisfaction.

People, we need to calm down. Of COURSE this is copyright infringement! I mean, look at how similar vBulletin and XenForo are. I mean, just look at the....um....and the....uh...they both have threads.

These two products are extremely dissimilar. They are nothing alike other than they are both for online forums. vBulletin may as well sue phpBB or SMF or any of a plethora of other similar products.

In the end I hope that this does not prevent Xen from coming out. I've already made plans to buy my license and make the switch when we get the testing completed.

Would love to see Scott and his facebook employer come in and back xenforo financially to fight this... but i'm just dreaming :)
If they're serious about suing customers, he can buy a license, as most companies will provide legal support for their employees.

You can only fight change for a while but change happens...and XF is the change forum owners need.

I wish Kier, Mike and Ashley all the very best and hope that sales will go on tomorrow as originally planned. Someone please start a We support Xenforo thread! :)

IB just guaranteed that I will not so much as renew a single license with them. If this kills XF, I'll simply use IPB. **** you, IB. **** you.

This what i posted on vB.com

It is surely huge news. I can't be on anyone's side as i have no information about the claims so i can't voice any opinion about this.

I just hope this is not a law suite just to destroy small company with huge legal costs . I hope one day we will be able to see the facts. But what i wonder is how did IB checked the code ? In order to sue XenForo and claim that they have vBulletin code inside , they need to be able to compare the code for XenForo. If Adrian can just highlight us about this , i'll be very glad.

I hate big fish eating small fish scenarios . If this is the case i hope Kier , Mike and Ashley can sue back IB. But this will require huge legal costs for them. This is just a sad day :( I hope court will not force the sales tomorrow.

Im quite angry with their announcement also, trying to claim the moral high ground on copyright when they clearly basing this on "hunches" that aspects of the code "could" be "similar".

A key test for infringement is a determination as to whether a substantial portion of the underlying work amounts to an expression of the prior work.

Im no lawyer but I cannot see how they could possibly ever prove that someones work is an "expression" of prior work

It's funny. I'm sure a lot of people that didn't know about XF are now going to find out about it and switch.

I can't imagine Kier et al would bother copying any vB code verbatim because honestly the original code was written so long ago with different programming practices.

People, we need to calm down. Of COURSE this is copyright infringement! I mean, look at how similar vBulletin and XenForo are. I mean, just look at the....um....and the....uh...they both have threads.

These two products are extremely dissimilar. They are nothing alike other than they are both for online forums. vBulletin may as well sue phpBB or SMF or any of a plethora of other similar products.

In the end I hope that this does not prevent Xen from coming out. I've already made plans to buy my license and make the switch when we get the testing completed.

Two bits of software can have different code but look exactly the same from output.
e.g.
PHP:
echo "output";
and
PHP:
define('service', true);
if (defined('service')) {
   echo "output";
}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom