Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's put a little perspective on this, of course Kier, Mike and Ashley will be unable to comment on this, as far as I see it, now that IB have instigated proceedings against Xenforo then there will be no release or sale tomorrow, as no doubt they would be filing an injunction to prevent the release, would any legal types care to confirm or correct me?

So ploughing ahead with any sale wouldn't be a wise decision. It is a shame that IB have done this, it doesn't matter how much ex-vbulletin licence holders hate IB, IB are well within their rights to protect themselves whether their claims have any foundation or not, so everyone keep a cool head and let the legalities take their course. Also be careful what you say about IB on a public forum with this legal cloud now hanging over proceedings.

So here comes the spoilsport...... nice.. let it roll. We will see who decides the market: the end consumers or the big brother?

Please let us know if we can file a "friend of the court" brief supporting XenForo on this and advising that any perceived loss of business by IB / vbulletin was of their own making. If any others feel like doing so, perhaps we can get a list going of the items. I can think about 30 off hand but I would really want to be complete and not miss anything.

Well, tomorrow I was due to purchase certain licences in hope (based on previous years) and for testing... Keeping my other licences active for my existing community and comparing a couple of products side by side.

I'm now going to (if able) purchase certain licences and the others will remain dormant/unused.

1) IB did not see the code yet, so this does not mean much. Just that they have the money for it and are desperate.
2) I'm pretty sure earlier contracts were investigated by the XF team to make sure there was no infringement. That would be the first thing I would do when starting a new project.
3) Typical American thing to sue just to try, even though you know your chances are probably small. The only problem of course is that they have a lot of money and XF does not (yet).
4) This has the potential to damage IB more than XF.

Does anybody else think that this will do nothing but benefit XF? It damages IB's reputation - Will force some IB customers out. It also brings attention to XF...

I'm not following IB's train of thought with this at all. If IB has a valid case, it's a completely different story...but I'd be shocked if their claims held up in court.

Get you a good lawyer, K/M/A...because we all know IB will be able to afford one heck of a laywer(s)

Does anybody else think that this will do nothing but benefit XF?

It damages IB's reputation - Will force some IB customers out. It also brings attention to XF...

I'm not following IB's train of thought with this at all. If IB has a valid case, it's a completely different story...but I'd be shocked if their claims held up in court.

Well, "nothing but benefit" is much said. If the sales are postponed, and the case is being searched etc. than who knows how long the decision will be of the court? :S

Well, "nothing but benefit" is much said. If the sales are postponed, and the case is being searched etc. than who knows how long the decision will be of the court? :S

If the case damages potential earnings for XF, XF will be able to recoup a lot (maybe not all, but definitely most) of that from IB since they dragged them to court.

It could very well postpone tomorrow's planned release, which sucks for us customers...but long term, I bet XF benefits from this.

The UK wants to get it's economy growing. Having XenForo on sale means more income for the government.

i wonder what they mean by unfair buisness practise

The suit is simple: we claim that Kier, Mike, and Ashley have infringed and violated contracts they signed with us to gain unfair business advantage. As such, Xenforo’s software unfairly stands on the shoulders of more than a decade of development by Jelsoft.

wierd but does the contract say anything about preventing kier and mike from developing an original code on their own which is similar to a bulletin board

Indeed, prior to the law suite, my feelings for IB were pretty much neutral, but now hate is creeping in. I do hope Kier/Mike/Ashley have their bases covered and that the case gets thrown out of court!

Reactions: Nix
I'd love vBulletin to sue me over this, my work will provide lawyers as long as its not related to work matters, and their legal team is just wow :).

What is important right now, is that the developers of Xenforo should put up an official statement and send an e-mail to all the members reassuring them of the prospects of the Xenforo forum software.

That's for Mike, Kier or Ashley to announce :(
sure, but i think that they should postpone the release .... as stated ...

We have requested that Kier, Mike and Ashley refrain from selling the software while the issues, inclusive of our infringement claims, are heard in the courts. We intend to pursue our rights broadly and vigorously.

Here is your week's notice - barring unforseen circumstances, XenForo will go on sale next Tuesday, October 5th 2010, at some point during UK business hours.

I wonder if they thought of that when writing the announcement. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom