Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely crazy... and really lame move on IB part here... I hope that Kier, Mike and Ashley plow ahead with the sale so that I can give them my money and help them defend against such a obviously malicious claims.

I also hope that once it is all over and xenForo win they turn around and sue for loss of sales caused by IB's false claims.

..and to think, I just cleared out an FTP account, ready for my shiny new XF install in the morning :(

Good luck Kier and Co.

My post on vB.com:
feldon23 said:
So Internet Brands completely destroyed the vBulletin product, destroying all customer faith in the product, destroying their own chance at profitability going forward, and in the process drove off its best developers. Not satisfied with this degree of failure, they have decided to compound their colossal screwup by filing a lawsuit against a competing product.

Any good will that Internet Brands may have gained back with the vBulletin community in the last few months by FINALLY delivering a somewhat usable product with vBulletin 4.0.6, 4.0.7, etc. after months of sidestepping and promises, you have just torpedoed all credibility with the entire forum community.

By the way, this announcement sounds chillingly like the SCO copyright infringement lawsuit against Linux. How well did that go?
My purchase of XenForo tomorrow now has 2 meanings: Because I want to run a great forum, and as a legal defense fund.

It may scare a few people but it will jolt a good number of fence sitters to take side and I can imagine it won't have the desired effect that IB hoped.
Many members here are royal followers of Kier so you can bet which side they take. If they are undecided about whether to buy, they would have a reason to act TOMORROW.

Remind me of the 2008 election. Let your vote (wallet) count.

Now, once the anger subsides, think about it

When Kier and Mike started this project, they already thought long and hard about IB trying this trick at some point in the future. And with Ashley as their business manager, I'm sure they already have plan on how to act when the issue arises.

So this should NOT catch them as a surprise. They may even expect this trick from IB.

So carry on people, get your money and server ready and let ROCK tomorrow.

An anonymous (xf staff) send a .zip to IB with what should be supposed to be an alpha of the xf product. (code copied from vb is added in the package)
IB takes the bait and fills a lawsuit against xf.
Xf sales during the first day doubles.

The product is released but there is no more evidence of copyright breaking.

XF 1, IB 0

Ok, maybe it's toooooo impossible.

We trust that software purchasers understand the risks of infringement of copyright law and act accordingly.

Ah, thanks.

An anonymous (xf staff) send a .zip to IB with what should be supposed to be an alpha of the xf product.
IB takes the bait and fills a lawsuit against xf.
Xf sales during the first day doubles.

The product is released but there is no more evidence of copyright breaking.

Xf 1/ib 0

Ok, maybe it's toooooo impossible.

Indeed, impossible ;D

Also, this may affect tomorrows sale

XenForo said:
Barring unforseen circumstances, XenForo will go on sale next Tuesday, October 5th 2010, at some point during UK business hours.

I'd say this is one of those.

How ridiculous and anti-competitive. It's just plain wrong to effectively lay-off a bunch of developers, and then attempt to shoot them for attempting to stay in the same market - a bit like what Activision did to Infinity Ward.

Just to let you know, this seems to have got the attention of Matt Mecham, IPB's lead dev: http://twitter.com/mattmecham/status/26379526314
Standing up for the little guy - I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom