Integration with ChatGPT API

Something to note about ChatGPT and AI in general is it took a while to get to this point, longer than was first thought but it's growth is now exponential. Generative AI in particular will probably produce the next generation of forum software, perhaps even before 2.3 see the light of day...

...which of course is a poor attempt at humor, or is it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAI_Codex

Give it a month or two and I suspect stochastic parrots will be the least of our worries. What concerns us right now is already yesterday's news, such is the pace of development in AI.
Kurtzweil predicted all of this...

So, the internet?
Go look up plagerism.
Canadian Comedy GIF by CBC

Don't know what plagiarism has to do with "Why use something that causes people to cheat their way through life?".

Where do you think ChatGPT is getting its responses from? Oh that's right, the internet! So you're contradicting yourself by using the internet.
Try getting it to write up your kids essays in the school they go to.
Oh that's right that app is banned from all schools
Think Outer Space GIF by NASA

Try getting it to write up your kids essays in the school they go to.
Oh that's right that app is banned from all schools
Think Outer Space GIF by NASA
🙃 they have had places to buy essays/essay writing since everyone was on DSL.

Not to mention you can just go on Fiverr or a similar service and pay someone.

To counter your point, there are legitimate uses for AI for schools, one of which is checking your essay, and asking for feedback. There are legitimate services recommended by professors that do essentially that, and LLM's will likely do it better.

🙃 they have had places to buy essays/essay writing since everyone was on DSL.

Not to mention you can just go on Fiverr or a similar service and pay someone.

To counter your point, there are legitimate uses for AI for schools, one of which is checking your essay, and asking for feedback. There are legitimate services recommended by professors that do essentially that, and LLM's will likely do it better.
I can't even lie, I used one of those services back in I believe 8th or 9th grade. I refused to write an essay myself about the "good things" the south tried to accomplish with the civil war. Luckily I only lived in that town for a year and a half and my family got us out of there before I just decided to start skipping classes at that school entirely over issues like that.

There are some very good points highlighted in several of the previous posts, and i would add another:

•Up until about a 3-4 weeks ago, we had a rather unique individual participating with my two forums.

Frankly, he was quite a prolific poster and required significant efforts 24/7 to "guide" him in appropriate directions.
He posted nearly 20,000 times in ~8 weeks.

His particular personality type combined with his uncommon intellectual capabilities-(*while functioning optimally(*ie: in between drastic emotive polarity shifts))-seemed to coalesce-forming a remarkable persona which can very quickly overwhelm most people.

Roughly 5-6 weeks ago, during a major forum development period, i & other members were too busy working behind the scenes to keep the -now former- member company out the front.

So apparently he decided to preoccupy himself by essentially doing something exceedingly imbecilic...

...he seems to have engaged in a brutal 12-20hrs/day + week long battle with βΐτςнвστ-(*ChatGPT).
Just him alone interacting with the artificial language model.
(*It is restricted to 1 dedicated shi#-posting forum & live chat coz it obviously repels a lot of people.)

We didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until around the end of the 5th day-(*based off of the timestamps)-and only due to him mentioning me in a post within the Chatbot forum-where he appears to be unaware of having summoned me to a post in which he's discussing with the βΐτςнвστ language model about something he refers to as "the feds"-& that i'm one of them.

Prior to this feral nonsense, his usual-unusual behavioural presentations were generally very challenging at the best of times and we even had-had to go so far as to develop several novel-passive organisational systems to limit his overwhelming influence as best we could.

Unfortunately all these were utterly useless by this point and we were completely unprepared for what resulted from his self imposed isolation with that nasty language model.

i think it is our duty as community leaders to be acutely aware of this.

In simple-general terms; by day 5's conclusion, the former member seems to have completely "lost the plot", accusing me & others of being these "feds" &/or "AI's" pretending to be real people & so forth.

Day 6, he went silent, even though he was actively lingering all day on both forums.

Day 7, i awoke to discover a 'Withdrawal' request awaiting approval, so i checked....

...it was him of course, and it is abundantly clear what his intention had been. Fortunately he didn't know how the 'Withdrawal' functions and he also couldn't delete the request so he essentially got himself caught in the act—attempting to test how much he could steal from the main forum community withdrawal fund.
(*he'd previously done something similar with the DBTech Credits)

i immediately confronted him about this, he denied everything unsurprisingly, and he avoided me til later that night when he began responding to DMs on the secondary forum, basically just being an outright smarta## about a serious issue.
By this point i'd had enough and called him out...😒he went absolutely frickin apeship so i had to immediately eject him from both forums for all members sakes and his too.

He has since been aggressively spamming my email with seemingly infinite burner email addys and the content of which clearly indicate that he has gotten much worse. Tbh i am concerned for him and unsure what to do to help him.

i think we all need to be vigilant for any members who may be afflicted with preexisting psychological conditions-and especially if such individuals attempt to self isolate with that artificial language model.

Although i'd suspect many of you-(particularly those who most loudly virtue signal about "mental health & wellbeing" whilst demonstrably proving otherwise)-will likely have no problem simply ignoring something of this sort occuring within your communities.

In conclusion, and in my genuine opinion, ChatGPT et al, are more or less essentially advanced Tools which can be constructively utilized to variably enhance our natural capabilities, or, alternatively, like other Tools, eg: a hammer, a chainsaw, a firearm, a ladder, etc—whether intentionally or deliberately, these Tools when improperly used can enable dangerous situations &/or be used as Weapons.

That is all. Carry on.

Top Bottom