Integrate Yahoo Smush It API With XenForo

Brent W

Hi,

As a user of Wordpress I have come to love some plugins that increase the performance and load times of my website. One of those I recently discovered was http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-smu****/

This tool not only takes every media image you upload into Wordpress and runs it through Yahoo Smush It but it also does images in Bulk as well.

Would love to see Xenforo support this out of the box. Would be a hell of a saver of bandwidth for many customers and decrease load times due to smaller sizes.

We all know that most of our members do not compress the images that upload.

Upvote 27
Why use a 3rd party like smush it when both Imagemagic and PHP GD are able to compress images on your server when uploaded?

If smush it goes down or you have a file over 1mb, all you have to worry about is your server not going down and not 1000s of uploads at once (though I'm sure XF could queue them).

I'd suggest a new suggestion for on-server image compression...

There's no harm in leaning on other services or creators to compliment your own product. Maybe there's an alternative product that doesn't rely on external resources.

Why use a 3rd party like smush it when both Imagemagic and PHP GD are able to compress images on your server when uploaded?

If smush it goes down or you have a file over 1mb, all you have to worry about is your server not going down and not 1000s of uploads at once (though I'm sure XF could queue them).

I'd suggest a new suggestion for on-server image compression...
I don't have a preference for the method. I just want our members to be able to post pics from their phones without having to go back to a desktop and edit images.

With a ski forum that is the whole ballgame in season.

The problem is most phones take pics around 4000 to 5000 px, can be 5mb or as much as 7mb.

That's what users want, to be able to up load as many 5mb pics as they choose.

That is not going to worth. Especially with people using phones in the mountains with with one or two bars.

I don't want to allow larger pics, I want users to be able to use their phones to post, but have the images resized.

That is not going to worth. Especially with people using phones in the mountains with with one or two bars.

I don't want to allow larger pics, I want users to be able to use their phones to post, but have the images resized.
The original image would still need to be transmitted to the server before it could be compressed so this suggestion isn't going to change that.

The implementation could do both, through ACP option - allow on-server compression if the environment allows it, or utilise 3rd party API if not.
Previous requests have been closed with lack of interest, eg. https://xenforo.com/community/threads/image-attachment-compression.85496/
Smush It API integration has 28 votes while on server has 1.

Maybe if someone explained on server with ImageMagic or PHP GD, it could garner 28 upvotes as it doesn't rely on a 3rd party service and it not be 'lack of interest' with 28+ upvotes too.

If a new suggestion is written, you could also suggest to compress by your own quality/percentage and even to resize as well as enable a queue or a cron job to slowly compress[/resize to max width] so it doesn't drain the server resources when someone uploads 1000 pictures).
I don't have a preference for the method. I just want our members to be able to post pics from their phones without having to go back to a desktop and edit images.
You're suggesting or backing up Smush It, by upvoting and discussing this suggestion.

I would create a new suggestion thread to challenge the use of ImageMagic/GD instead of a 3rd party API as the former will likely stay local and require less maintenance than Smush It going down or the API changing. Possibly use some of my points above as well as not relying on an API (I mean, even PayPal API is out of date on XenForo... are we going to let Smush It be another one they need to fix?).

I would create a new suggestion thread to challenge the use of ImageMagic/GD instead of a 3rd party API as the former will likely stay local and require less maintenance than Smush It going down or the API changing. Possibly use some of my points above as well as not relying on an API (I mean, even PayPal API is out of date on XenForo... are we going to let Smush It be another one they need to fix?).
I await your thread, and will certainly up-vote it :)
Do not disagree. I believe this should have been implemented years ago.

I await your thread, and will certainly up-vote it :)
Do not disagree. I believe this should have been implemented years ago.
I suppose I'll create it, even though I allow members to upload 100% quality at any megapixel (45+) as I want to preserve history on one forum due to prints being faded as they were copied and copied since WWII to where you can barely get a good one now.

The original image would still need to be transmitted to the server before it could be compressed so this suggestion isn't going to change that.

I think I get it now. If you raise the limit it will still use up a lot of server space, but it won't affect page load times. ??

What he said was that since compression/resizing takes place on the server, user would still be uploading the original image. So users on poor connectivity would not benefit from any server side implementation of image compression.

For your requirement, I suggest recommending your users to install something like https://squoosh.app on their phones. It would let them compress images right on their devices before uploading... It's not really the best solution here though.